Klipsch Heresy 2 problem

shockthamonkey

My tube amp malfunctioned and started making a loud scratching/popping noise.  The side of the tube ended up melting.  I took that amp out of the chain and began using a solid state sansui.  The first time I ran it the right speaker faded out and was scratchy.  Then it dropped put completely.  How can I trace down the issue? Is it a blown speaker?

Was it the right channel on the tube amp that failed?

First determine whether it's the speaker or the amp.  Check your wiring/connections for shorts and swap the speaker wires left/right on the amp to see if it's still the same speaker quiet.  Then report back.

I'd recommend just a brief (momentary) test, just in case the speaker's causing problems the electronics don't like.

Set the meter to read Ohms.  

What's the value across the speaker input terminals?  (I don't recall whether that model has separate inputs for high and low frequencies, if it does, provide values for both individually)

Isolate each driver from the crossover, one at a time, checking the resistance between driver's terminals (through disconnected leads is fine) and check again the resistance at the (appropriate) input terminals, then reconnect the lead and proceed to the next one.  Report the values you got for everything at each step.