Sell my newer Pioneer Elite SC-LX501 for an older Marantz SR7005??

wuzzzer

There's a somewhat local Marantz SR7005 that just popped up on Craigslist for $275.  Retailed for $1,699 new around 2012.  Has HDMI 1.4a.  I only have a 1080p tv and don't plan on upgrading anytime soon.

My current receiver is a Pioneer Elite SC-LX501 that I've had for maybe a couple years.  Got it as a refurb from accessories4less.com.  Retailed for $1,000.  I paid around $475.

Mainly wondering if it would be an upgrade in audio quality.  The Pioneer is a class D design and I love how it sounds with my Heresy II/Academy/RS-7 combo.

?

Well that's an interesting ? I have a Pioneer Elite of some sort in my barn I'm thinking 5xx it has network and hdmi. It's no slouch for power or music, it's not class D I don't think. I also had a Marantz 6xxx I'm thinking a few years back. It had a pretty good reputation but I didn't think it was much honestly. My Harman 635 I had mopped the floor with it on every comparison.

The 7xxx Marantz have a good rep too,  I think it would be a sidaways move, even though sideways can be an improvement based on preference. Of course a large part of my opinion is speculation. Its potentially a good deal that is for sure if it's in good shape. If you needed a set for another room I'd say hard to beat for the price. For a guy that has only had a few PIoneers since the 70's I think they sound pretty good overall.