Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1 -> DD-5.1 via optical?

Terminus

Will it work?

Also, will this connection be better than if I had the Audigy2 connected to the DD-5.1 (since the Audigys use the 1/8" SPDIF connector as digital out)?

I would also get full 5.1 sound coming from the sound card into the DD-5.1 am I correct (since the card it supposed to send all the 5.1 channels via the optical connection as apposed to only sending stereo when connected with a mini-RCA cable as in the case of a card like the Audigy2)?

I think you are kind of mixed up. S/PDIF is a format of sending a digital audio signal invented by Sony/Philips. Whether it is sent optically or through an RCA cable, it still holds the same exact information.

Do you have a DD-51 right now?

It is not a Mini RCA cable, it is a Mini Mono 1/8 male plug and an RCA cable, all on one cable.

What card do you have RIGHT now?

What are you wanting to do most of the time with this setup? What next to that?

well i just ordered the DD-5.1 and i currently have no sound card (im deciding between the audigy2 and the fortissimo III)

what i want to do with this setup is to have the MP3s and DIVX/DVDs on my computer play through the promedias which are already hooked up to my PS2 and TV (or will be as soon as i get the DD-5.1)

i already have video working as my computer and TV are side-by-side and i can get the video from my computer/DVD-ROM to my TV via an Svideo connection, all i need now is a way to get the sound from my computer to the promedias without directly hooking them up to the sound card

There are two types of optical cables, toslink (normal sized, most popular) and mini (there was once a sound card that used a mini so you could make its coaxial mini mono 1/8 jack also optical...

you want toslink

toslink.GIF

These are the kind you want.

Where to get them? Radioshack, Wal-Mart, Circuit City, Best Buy, just about any electronics store.