Tube Amplification Question

music nut

I have just purchased my first pair of horn speakers...a pair of Heresey II's. I plan to power them with VTL tube amplifiaction and pre-amplification. My quandry: the ST-85 stereo amp or the TT-25 monoblocks. I really want the monoblocks as they are easier to place, but I am concerned about that the power of these small monoblacks may not be enough.

I mainly listen to both new and classic rock, pop and elctronica, blues, and some jazz. I do listen to music quite loud as I like the dymanics offered from higher volume levels.

Any comments will be most appreciated. Thanks.

vtl_tt25.jpg

Go with the little VTL TT-25 Monoblocks. I think the EL-84 tube is one of the best sounding tubes there is and this is quite a lot of good company. There are vintage amps that offer a more beguiling presentation including a sweetness you find missing but the little VTL monos will do fine, especially if you find a good deal. I have not read hardly any negative comments and VTL is a lot more reliable than they were in the 80s. I think the EL-84 has a more pure sound than the EL-34, my old favorite PP tube.

As for power, these little beasts will surely not disappoint. Sounds like a good heart to a system to me, even though the price is a bit steep (IOW, there are other candidates in that price bracket). Even so, if you have your heart set on VTL, the little TT-25 is good bet. I also like the ability to switch from Triode to tetrode, something the 85 does not do.

Of course, there are a lot better 6BQ5/EL-84 than the Russians included. You will get an improvement across the board with good NOS options in the 12AT7 and EL-84. What made you decide on VTL?

kh

I owned a pair of VTL Tiny Triodes for several months (the limited edition re-issue not the original Tiny Triodes with the red side plates). I was using them with Cornwalls and later Belles, they are incredible sounding amps IMHO. I eventually went for lower powered SET amps, but every time I see a pair of TT's available I think long and hard about getting another pair to "amp roll".

Trust me...they will have more than enough power in triode mode to drive your Heresy's!

What is the output of these amps ? My setup for some time was Heresy I's with a 20 Watt per channel 7189/EL-84 intergrated and it could reach 104 db clear as could be. I like my music loud also !! I now have Lascalas and these babies can get real loud with 20 watts and clear as a whistle !! Were talking Major Dynamics.

Craig

Thanks for the great feedback....it is most helpful.

I am open to considering other manufacturers if anyone has a suggestion he or she would like to offer. However, the VTL's, at least to me, have an excellent sense of timing and pace that I have not heard from many other tube amps. I am not saying that they are the last word in transperancy and frequency extension; but, again to me, they just get down and boogie and make music come alive.

But, like I said, I am not married to the VTL's.

You can always find a pair of the tiny triodes for sale at audiogon.com, though you should be sure to check whether they are the current version or older versions.

I once heard the tinies driving Avante Garde Duos. Pretty damned sweet....

I use the VTL IT-85 with Aerial Acoustics 7b's. I intend to upgrade by adding a ST-85 for the lows. I know what you mean about the VTL sound. I fell in love with it listending to a IT-85 driving NHT speakers and Aerial Acoustics 6's.

Those figures they give are per channel or total output ?? They can't be per channel RMS in triode into 8 ohms. How could they get 25 Watts RMS per channel with a EL84 in triode mode ??

But regardless I'm sure they would make a set of heresy's sing all you really need to put out 100+ DB is about 10 watts at the most per channel RMS.

Craig

There are FOUR EL-84 per channel, Craig.

I think you should just give the VTL TT-25 a shot and let us know how they do. Interestingly, they dont use regulation as they contend it dampens it a bit. I say give them a go. I was going to rack my brains for all sorts of options in the used market. I tend to prefer tube rectification and the vintage designs get me nod in sonics and musicality, depending.

But hell, I think those TT-25 are what you should fly with. Next thing you know, you'll be going for a bigger Klipsch Heritage option.

kh