RF,RC, and RS3-II with a Denon amp-big or small?

tankhokie

I have the exact same set up, Denon 2802 with the same speakers except I have different surrounds. I asked many people here what they do and they set theirs to small. You could set it to large if you want, but it doesn't make a huge noticable difference. If you have a subwoofer set the crossover on the receiver to 80, then set the crossover on the subwoofer all the way up cause if you have it set below 80 that 80 to ?? will be left out. Then you will want your speakers set to small. Without a subwoofer I would set them to large, soley because your going to want the RF-3II's making most of the bass.

Did you just yourself a new system? Sounds nice, doesn't it.

yeah as zan say if you have no sub fronts are large. in fact when you tell the receiver sub:no then it should auto-force a large setting for the fronts. the other are small speaks & should be set small.

interference & room node issues come into play as to large/small settings when you have a sub

that could be covering the same low range as the fronts or other speaks set large. solution to that is to set large speakers small (a tragedy cutting large speaks at 80hz) or get a receiver or pre/pro w/ adjustability in its processor down to 40-60hz (the solution). 2.gif

no sub yet, I am experimenting with a DIY project with some old car subs that I have had for a while.

Alone, the system sounds a-freakin-mazing. I am still getting chills when I watch movies with it.

Thanks for the small/big issue, it does force set the fronts to large if I take off the sub. I just need to decide whether to buy a sub (svs/rsw) or get to building...need more hours in the day14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Noz, nice set up, the 7 series looked like the 3's until I really looked close and then could tell how fat the fronts are compared to the 3's cones. Well I do have a set of 12" subs that used to be in the SUV but now reside (ugly) beside my Klipsch. Thinking about splitting them apart and building seperate boxes for them...just one problem. No specs on the speaker to build the box.

Shoe, I have heard both the 10 and 12 in the Reference subs, but it is just a huge chunk of change for a sub, especially when it is rumored that the SVS can hit lower for a lesser price with an amp included. I dunno, I think I may just figure out how to measure my subs and build a box for them...my wife isn't to fond of an industrial grade grey carpeted car sub box (approx. 16"x16"x40")hanging out in the corner of the living room.3.gif

Some of the smaller, but more high end models of velodyne subs are quite a bit better than SVS. I am not knocking SVS by any means. I am sure they are good, but I just do not like the tall thing in the corner. If you are looking for a sub that can really pound, then I would choose velodyne. That is just my opinion. That is what I would do anyway. I am sure SVS is a great sub, but I just don't like the way they are designed. Velodyne is my preferred choice. You have to make your own decision though. OK? Good luck and happy hunting.

RJB

I'm sorry rjb, but you are sadly mistaken. Every single review I have read has indicated the SVS goes lower, and louder than every Velodyne at the same price point. Just because you don't like the look of them doesn't give you the right to start spreading false information about them...

Mike

Like I said earlier, I was not knocking the SVS subs. Sorry if I offended anyone, but I just don't like them as much as velodyne. I have heard both and like the velodyne better. SVS is great, but I prefer velodyne. I was not saying which is better...it is just a personal preference.

RJB