Multichannel vs. Optical dvd outputs

Bruinsrme

The other day I noticed one of my dVD players has Multi channel outputs (5.1) and my receiver suports Multi channel inputs.

I do not know anything about the multichannel feature and I am wondering if there is an advantage using multichannel over optical interconnects.

Thank you,

Scott

Scott - Finally, a question I can answer (LOL). The multi-channel outputs from your DVD player simply employ the onboard DD/DTS processing of the DVD unit and output an analog signal rather than passing the digital signal to your preamp/receiver and allowing IT to do the surround processing.

If you feel like experimenting, try both ways and see if you can tell a difference. If you can, go with it. If not, I'd suggest using the digital output (either optical or coaxial) and let the receiver do the decoding dirty work. That lets you keep all the bass management in one unit, rather than your DVD doing it for things IT decodes, and your receiver doing it for other source devices you may have. Plus, you have fewer cables to buy and deal with.

One reason to use the player's converters comes to mind, and that is if it also decodes SACD or DVD-A. In that case, you'll need to use the multi-channel connections to obtain the enhanced quality of those formats.

DD