Coleman Hawkins

dbflash

If you are looking for some "hi-fi" Coleman Hawkins, then I think you should start here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000003N8C/qid=1036175559/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-4212043-4417440?v=glance

This is the best of the late Hawkins--a terrific set with a VERY sympathetic rythym section. Hawkins' solos in this period generally have that "carved from granite" quality-big, heavy, even ponderous, but here he tempers that somewhat and thus this is one swingin' session.

If you can't find that one, try this:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=SEARCH&sql=Aav3tk6sxlkrd

You won't go wrong with either one-- if fact, BUY BOTH OF THEM!!

can't go wrong with "body and soul" on RCA

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000003G3L/ref=m_art_li_1//103-2205368-5652661?v=glance

my favorite in terms of content, though fiedlity is not on par with later "hi-fi" attempts...the music here rules though...

my only doubt about "the bebop years" would be that since it is not from a "name" label (is it?) the sources used may not be best available...the content list for that set is quite complete however, for 21 bucks I would take a chance, but by all menas get the RCA "body and soul" too...and let me know how the collection sounds...tony

Coleman Hawkins....

Please, hear at least these Two songs. They literally bring me to tears, especially the Hawk playing with the Ellington combo with Johnny Hodges, Harry Carney, Ray Nance, Lawrence Brown, Aaron Bell, Sam Woodward, and Duke Ellington. This version of "Mood Indigo" is by far one of the best versions at any time by any one. It is the kind of performance that will bring non jazz lovers to their knees. I literally, come to tears every time I hear it. I an mot joking. This is a midi version but at least the whole thing. Sonics dont do it any justice however. But this is beyond sublime.

Coleman Hawkins - Ellington: Mood Indigo

And I dont care what anyone says, you have heard NOTHING until you have heard Coleman Hawkins do "Body and Soul" from 1939. It is simply one of the best jazz recordings of all time with quite a few versions that stand out, but the best is the oft played genius of that RCA version. Here is a short clip that doesnt even GET to the best part. Man, it is amazing. You HAVE to hear the whole thing. But play the clip! Simply the best:

BODY AND SOUL - 30 sec Clip

The truly GREAT Coleman Hawkins stuff is all pre-war and pre-hifi. I only suggested the later recordings because the initial request seemed to be asking about the "bebop" or 50's and 60's small group recordings.

My pre-war favorites include ALL the 1920's Fletcher Henderson recordings, the Chocolate Dandies sessions from 1930-31 and the sides cut with Red Allen right before he left for Euorpe in 1934.

While some of the European recordings are good, they certainly don't account for what happened when Hawkins returned in 1939. The "Body and Soul" 78, which was a MASSIVE radio and juke-box hit, is a quantum leap forward in the progession of American music. It seems to have come from left field--the first truly "modern" jazz record--the Hawk improvising over the chord changes of Body and Soul but the original tune is all but OBLITERATED. This is what Parker and Gillespie were to do with a vengence some 5-6 years later.

This is one of the five or six most important recordings of the 20th century.

So, by all means START here, but if you're looking for later Hawkins (which the original question seemed to imply), try the ones I suggested.

Yes. And the great thing is that this early stuff sounds like LIQUID GOLD on vinyl!!! Just because it was done in 1939, it still sounds BIG BIG BIG and rich via your new, shiny, used, turntable. Even the resissues of this sound good. Allan is entirely correct; just think about it! That "Body and Soul" was done in 1939! You HAVE to find a copy and listen to the lines Hawkins leaves. Plus, it's all done with larger than life TONE.

As for that Ellington-Hawkins version of Mood Indigo, man.... To hear that on my Linn - tubes - WHATEVER SPEAKER...well, it's just that good. MY wife cries when she hears it.

Add to this list of all time great songs,

Johnny Hodges doing "Passion Flower" , "A Flower is a Lovesome Thing" , "Day Dream"

The way Hodges bends his notes on the sax... there is NO ONE like him. None. Every time I put good Johnny Hodges on, man... This is what it's all about.

kh

As Bird said of Hodges: "He's the Lily Pons of the alto saxophone."

I have ALL of the Norgran/Verve Hodges LPs and I listen to them a lot! Just last night I was spinning "Duke's in Bed." This one has a killer "A Train" and some really great vocals from Ran Nance on "Just Squeeze Me." And a killer Hodges solo on EVERY cut.

Thank's so much.

I will try and find these titles this weekend.

I think it's time to break down and buy a TT.

I just ordered Body and Soul,Today and Now and Hawkins-Ellington:Mood Indigo.

Every time an Artist is mentioned on the BB I usually try and go out and buy a cd by them.

Thanks again.

Danny

I have not heard the 4 CD set but for later Hawkins you might see if you can find "The Genius of Coleman Hawkins" Verve (1957). Its Hawkins with the Oscar Peterson group.

Thanks, Kelly for the Mood Indigo. I have the Impulse CD (Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins" & its quite nice for a CD.

As for Johnny Hodges, I could go on and on but this is not the thread for it. His is the most romantic, indeed sexiest, sax I've heard. Try Duke Ellington & Johnny Hodges "Side by Side" and "Back to Back" both on Verve.

The only problem with the LP/CD of Ellington and Hawkins is that there are some less than stellar tracks on the beast. I was mainly just referring to that one version of Mood Indigo which is quite different than the hundreds of other versions. And the small group with Ellington lays down the groove in that version with such a heavy, yet oh so subtle swing, it is perfection to me. And when you add the genius of Hawk's interpretation it moves this version of Mood Indigo to exhalted status, in my opinion. The rest of the LP has some OK stuff but nowhere near the level of that.

kh

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Allan,SuunySal,Mobile and everyone else who replied.

I bought Body and Soul,Duke Encounters Coleman, and Coleman's Quartet.

Oh My God. I am so happy. I stayed up until 3:00 this morning playing these CD's over and over.

Allan if you read this I carry a copy of your Jazz list with me.

Mobile I owe a big thanks to you. I would never have gotten the Wright's and tube pre amp if not for you. You planted the tube seed and it has grown.

Thanks again.

Danny