Tweeter question for djk

John Warren

John,

Here in the Chicago area, $428 per pair would be a good price for a brand new pair from any of the JBL distributors. Based on a prior posted tip from you on the Klipsch site, I investigated the 2404H along with the EV ST350A, and elected to go with the JBL unit. I purchased a single used unit this summer for $170 (included an exorbitant $20 freight) from Jammin Jersey out of California. A pair would have thus run $320.

In addition to DJK, I suggest you write to Tom Brennan here in the Chicago area, as I recall that he has some experience with the EV unit.

Phil

P.S. I attempted to send you this via Email, but the Email was returned as unaccepted . . . any reason?

Phil-I've never done a side by side with the two tweeters. I'm using a borrowed pair of ST-350s that I have a option to buy. The pair of 2404Hs that I once owned have been sold. So it's either buy the EV units ($150) or the JBL units ($438). I think the EV units sound reasonable but my recollections of the 2404Hs were that they sounded better.

This is what I measured with a Rat Shack sound level meter with the a test CD.

Freq./kHz K-77 JBL-2404H University HF-206

5 82 82 82

6.3 84 86 85 (peak at

X- over point)

8 81 81 81.5

10 74 78 73

12.5 74 76 66

16 66 71 -

The 206 sounds quite nice but dies too early.

The JBL is nicer sounding then the K-77 and you can hear the highs a little clearer and louder as the SPL levels show.

The Klipschorn bass horn had an average measured around 84 db.

The K-400/K-55 had an average around 81 db.

The Altec 288/805b had an average around 83db.

You notice that the altec is louder, not to mention nicer sounding. But, my point is that I think the midrange should be louder to match the output of the bass horn.

Looking at the SPL readings of the K-77, shows that the tweeter isn't keeping up. The JBL does a better job of it.

Q-I knew that you were going to like them when you heard them, they are much better than the little Avedon tweeter.

Thanks for the offer but I'm going to pass on the ebay drivers, I've had both good and very bad results with drivers on ebay. Pro drivers tend to get abused especially tweeters. New diaphragms for the 2404 are pricey too.

What are you using for a network with the 2404H?

jw

I guess it's more network controled then I thought.

I thought the tweeter rolled off on it's own. I should have realized it was the network, since all three tweeters drop off in the same relation to each other.

I think I'll try my university network and see what I get. I may not be able to try the University with the K-77. I think it crosses over too low for the 77. I'll have to check first.I don't remember where it crosses to the tweeter , and I don't want to fry the tweeter.

Thanks for your input.