Cosmos Soundtrack ReMastered

Mighty Favog

I don't expect too many people here, or anywhere else; to have "The Music of Cosmos" attributed to Carl Sagan fame. I happen to like it. After buying the 7 DVD boxed set of the entire series (marathon viewing last May) I had to see if the soundtrack was available on CD. My vinyl copy just wasn't cutting it anymore.

The first version I found was from BMG Collectables (COL-CD-6293 DRC 1-2379) and I thought I was in Heaven (or was that Hell...). Anyway I felt very lucky to find such a rarity. The only bad thing was that the sonic quality still was only on par with it's vinyl counterpart. So be it, I'll just live with it.

Last night while trying to relieve a sore back from yard work I decided to stroll around at the local Borders since they're open later than other music stores (shame they're higher priced). Going through the Windham Hill section hoping to find a latest edition of Winter Solstice that wasn't only gear towards Christmas I came accross a one and only copy of the following. "The Music of Cosmos", "Digitally ReMastered, Collector's Edition" (BMG Special Products #MOC 1100). It's a 2 CD set over the single disc I already have. I looked at the price and almost put it back, $29.99 (Best Buy, Amazon etc. all had it for $27.99 and then there's shipping). I bit the bullett and charged it to plastic. Had to wait till the little woman went to sleep before it could have it's first spin.

The reult: Expanded isn't the word for it! This has nearly all the missing pieces of soundtrack that I had forgotten about. The sonics are soooooo much clearer from the first attempt. The bass digs deeper and the highs almost had me reaching for the treble control to turn it down. The mids are still slightly reserve, smooth and palatable.

One track that deserves a special note. Disc 2, Tack 4 "Aquarius" has a special musicality that will have have you singing along and tapping your feet. Disc 2, Track 8 "Fly...Night Bird" has a wonderfully mixed guitar genre to the liking of Jeff Beck and Led Zepplin.