Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
rjcksn

Bar 48 Subwoofer disconnect

Recommended Posts

I recently bought a Bar 48 3.1 sound bar. I have it connected through HDMI ARC. Sounds great, just having subwoofer problems. From when I first set it up, I had to unplug the subwoofer and plug it back in to reconnect it. And every time I turn my tv on, everything comes on, but no sound out of the subwoofer. I try a reconnect (using pair buttons), and nothing. It always comes down to unplugging the subwoofer and reconnecting after that. Anybody else have this problem, and hopefully a fix for the problem?

 

Also, I did not do a firmware update. I’ve seen so many posts about the firmware update failing, I would rather wait that out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you ever get the fix? i had the same problem but when i unplug the sub and plug it back in when i press the pair button on the sub and it doesn't blink to pair at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After receiving my BAR 48, I had the exact same problem (and so do many, many others...). Works great, as long as you unplug, wait for the blue LED to go out, re-plug the sub back in.... until the soundbar powers down again (or stops receiving an audio signal). *At turn-on, you can even see the Soundbar communicate with the sub properly. The sub turns on, just like it should, the sub's blue LED goes from flashing to steady, indicating proper pairing, but no sound will be heard from the sub unless manually unplug/re-plug it in (every single time). VERY ANNOYING. I did upload the Version 2 firmware, as requested by Tech support, and the firmware update went smoothly, but it made absolutely no difference in fixing the unplug/plug-in subwoofer issue (loss of pairing).

Edited by FMnoise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW: They introduced another firmware update for the BAR 40/48 products on Dec 13th, (V83 and V23) which I also downloaded and tried. The latest V83 software for my version did not even load. I downloaded the file to the root directory of my USB drive (as before) and when I tried to install it on the soundbar, the software was unable to load. The soundbar never showed any LED lights, never reset and was left "dead" after the failed install. I deleted the new firmware file from my USB drive and re-loaded the V2 firmware back on the drive. I ran the same firmware update procedure with that version and it loaded perfectly, getting me right back to where I was before, with a working sound bar, but the same sub woofer unplug/plug issue.

 

I advised Tech Support of this and they issued a return ticket to me. I have shipped back the BAR 48 soundbar and am awaiting the replacement. I sure hope the replacement fixes the issue (and will update after I receive it).

Edited by FMnoise
update
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry your firmware did not load. I have a newer BAR 48 and installed the new v23 firmware (12/13/19), following the firmware installation pdf. I copied the zip file to a blank USB thumb drive, powered off the BAR 48, plugged in the thumb drive. Pressing down the power button while plugging in the power cord, only the first orange light came on for a few seconds (pdf said all the white lights would light up in sequence, then turn off). I held down the power button for two minutes, then released it. I unplugged the power. It started up fine after plugging power back in and is working fine. But we have no way of knowing if the new firmware installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been able to update the previous firmware files on the BAR 48 with no problem as the process is simple. The LED's light up just as described in the instructions. However, the new V83 firmware version they supplied for my soundbar proved defective and would not load onto the unit. The USB drive flashed indicating an error, not 'loading" so the problem was related to the Soundbar being defective. *That is why it was sent back. BTW: If you attempted to load a firmware revision on yours using the zip file on your USB drive (as you indicated), then most likely, you did not load the firmware at all. The actual firmware files are executable batch files, not zip files. If it correctly loaded, then you would have seen all of the source LEDs light up sequentially, as stated in the instructions indicating success. The fact that you did not, probably means you still have the original firmware file you started with on the soundbar. When it works, it should go quickly, as described in the update instructions.

 

It would have been nice if they could have provided a way to know which firmware is currently loaded. At least the newer versions of firmware have an "installer" mode which allows you to keep the sound bar turned on, and not cycle off after so many minutes of no audio output.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FMnoise, thanks for the update. I hope the replacement BAR 48 works for you. And thanks for the advise to unzip the files onto the USB drive. Their PDF does not mention it: "Download the update file from
Klipsch.com/firmware to an empty USB
Flash Drive (FAT32 format) ."
I will wait until I receive the replacement Surround 3 speakers. If the volume is still too low, I'll unzip the files on the thumbdrive and see what happens. Since your BAR 48 failed on the firmware update, I'm hesitant to do anything but exactly what the instructions said. If the second set of Surround 3 speaker volume is too low, I may not have much choice, unless Klipsch support replies to my request (nothing in 5 days).

Edited by DaleG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaleG said:

And thanks for the advise to unzip the files onto the USB drive. Their PDF does not mention it: "Download the update file from Klipsch.com/firmware to an empty USB Flash Drive (FAT32 format) ."
 

This YouTube video explains the process much better:

Klipsch Bar 48 Firmware Update

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KevinB said:

This YouTube video explains the process much better:

Klipsch Bar 48 Firmware Update

KevinB, thank you very much for the Klipsch firmware video link. I unzipped the bin file to my USB thumbdrive and the update went smoothly. Thanks again. I hope Klipsch gets their documentation updated or they're going to be losing good customers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello guys, I had the same issue. Every time after I shut down the sound bar for a longer period of time or after the bar goes to sleep, the subwoofer won't reconnect unless I power cycle it.

 

I already did the firmware update according to the video instruction. USB drive was in FAT32 format. After entering the serial #, there was only one update, Version: v83a (S/N: 106655719110001 - 106655719242000). The update process looked smooth. However, this doesn't really help. I still have to do the plug/unplug thing.

 

Did the firmware update actually solved this issue for you guys?

Edited by Melting735

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The firmware update is one of those things that you just have to try and see. For some issues, it may fix the problem. For others, you will probably have to submit a warranty claim to Klipsch and have it replaced. *My original BAR 48 never worked out-of-the-box, even with the firmware updates.

 

From what I have experienced, it looks like many of the early batches were defective (like yours, and like my original one too). The used market is now flooded with broken BARs as it appears the early batches were dumped on the reseller market (lots of returns). The newest versions of the hardware appear to have fixed the problems with having to plug/unplug the sub plus the system loosing most of the settings every time it it powers down. The latest firmware updates appear to have addressed the low-volume output problem on the surround speakers. The replacement BAR 48 that I received under warranty (a newer production model with later s/n) fixed the lost sub connection issue (it powers up and pairs instantly when the sound bar turns on) plus it remembers all of my settings (e.g. LED off, volume settings) every time. If you patched your BAR with the latest firmware and have not seen any improvement, then you may need to contact Klipsch customer support to arrange for an exchange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2019 at 5:51 AM, FMnoise said:

After receiving my BAR 48, I had the exact same problem (and so do many, many others...). Works great, as long as you unplug, wait for the blue LED to go out, re-plug the sub back in.... until the soundbar powers down again (or stops receiving an audio signal). *At turn-on, you can even see the Soundbar communicate with the sub properly. The sub turns on, just like it should, the sub's blue LED goes from flashing to steady, indicating proper pairing, but no sound will be heard from the sub unless manually unplug/re-plug it in (every single time). VERY ANNOYING. I did upload the Version 2 firmware, as requested by Tech support, and the firmware update went smoothly, but it made absolutely no difference in fixing the unplug/plug-in subwoofer issue (loss of pairing).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am having the same (sub)disconnect issues.

the manual IMHO sucks.

Q , ina perfect world when pairing the sub... do you start at the sound bar or the sub?

very unhappy about this too.....after the initial install and set up it worked great... so the next day I trashed the box it came in.

now I may have to have it custom packed to ship it to Klipsch?......or can I return it to the seller and get a new one.

note to self call Best Buy about returns... I hate it when shit like this happens... really sucks.

on top of this the very same day I purchased the sound bar and a new 55” smart tv.... I arrived at home to find out my iMac  died... hard drive will not boot or even recover... timing is everything.... so I am told

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry about the rant.

however, the sound bar subwoofer stayS on if I turn off the TV only and leave the sound bar system on.

otherwise I have to (after many attempts) re-boot the subwoofer.

not a very pleaser task.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try the firmware patch first, though if you have to unplug/plug the sub back in to make it pair, this will probably not fix it (but you need to try and the firmware upload process is super easy). After you confirm that the latest firmware patch does NOT solve the problem, then contact the seller you purchased it from to arrange for a return. They will advise you how to ship it back. If they can provide you with a new exchange model, please make sure it is one of the lastest models (by S/N). Many, not all, of the recent models appear to work well. Klipsch provides warranties when you purchase it through them direct or one of their authorized dealers (at this writing, Crutchfield and Best Buy). If you purchased it from a non-authorized dealer (gray market, like Amazon or ebay), then your only recourse is with the seller.

 

RE-PAIRING SUBWOOFER is described in the free downloadable Firmware update pdf on Klipsch's support page: https://www.klipsch.com/firmware

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the large number of reports of broken/defective BAR units and the currently flooded market (gray market) offering them for sale, best advice to anyone thinking about purchasing one is to Buy a new one directly from Klipsch or their authorized dealers. Most of the ones being offered through the 'other' sellers appear to be the returned units or defective units produced during the first few production runs. If you do buy from a gray market seller, make sure you can return it for a full refund if it proves defective after receipt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2019 at 4:04 PM, FMnoise said:

If they can provide you with a new exchange model, please make sure it is one of the lastest models (by S/N). Many, not all, of the recent models appear to work well. Klipsch provides warranties when you purchase it through them direct or one of their authorized dealers (at this writing, Crutchfield and Best Buy). If you purchased it from a non-authorized dealer (gray market, like Amazon or ebay), then your only recourse is with the seller.

 

 

I did purchased it recently from best buy. I am still able to return it or exchange. I do want to get a good one because I like the sound especially after the holiday discount. In case of exchange, how to make sure it's a late enough model by S/N?

Edited by Melting735

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Melting735: From recent data on Klipsch's support page, BAR 48's starting with S/N: 106655719280001 appear to be the most reliable models (they have the newer PCB's and 2.4Ghz wireless feature which fixed the sub-woofer pairing problem). Many sellers still have older, defective models in their inventory so I would recommend checking the S/N of any replacement/exchange models before walking out of the store. These modules have been through several revisions so try and get the latest model and then be sure and update it with the correct firmware file before use (because they all shipped out BEFORE the recent firmware updates could be applied).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2020 at 5:48 PM, FMnoise said:

Melting735: From recent data on Klipsch's support page, BAR 48's starting with S/N: 106655719280001 appear to be the most reliable models (they have the newer PCB's and 2.4Ghz wireless feature which fixed the sub-woofer pairing problem). Many sellers still have older, defective models in their inventory so I would recommend checking the S/N of any replacement/exchange models before walking out of the store. These modules have been through several revisions so try and get the latest model and then be sure and update it with the correct firmware file before use (because they all shipped out BEFORE the recent firmware updates could be applied).

It ends up very funny. I exchanged a bar for a later serial#. The sub connection works with no issue now, but the rear ones had little volume with volume maxed. Update has been done, no luck. Very disappointed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Melting735 said:

It ends up very funny. I exchanged a bar for a later serial#. The sub connection works with no issue now, but the rear ones had little volume with volume maxed. Update has been done, no luck. Very disappointed!

 

@Melting735 Are the ((SUR)) and Dolby Digital lights on the BAR 48 illuminated?

Edited by KevinB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...