DIY crossover specs!!!

prodj101

It would be best if you could get the components nessasary to make (by changing the components) a few different X-over ranges. I mean, try 2,500, 3,000, 3,500 etc. and see what the "magic" number is.

I am considering building my own speakers eventually, and I will probably consider an active X-over.

I might try something like 3250... I generally think about 1000 Hz between a tweeter's Fs and what its xover is is about right... and I don't personally like it when a woofer plays too high... I mean that is why it's a woofer- for low stuff... I like designing speakers... I will never show them to anyone, but I have tons of designs for almost every kind of speaker. I generally use tweeters that go really low... or a mid and tweeter... but ya, off subject. 1.gif

A recommendation can be only very vague, until you tell what speakers you have, what you wanna build and maybe for what application.

Generally it's advised, to crossover when both speakers are 3 dB down. The crossover point for a tweeter should be 2 or 3 times higher than the Fs if no factory recommendation is available. Consider that even woofers beam like horns at high frequencies.

I can mail you a file to crossover design from Wayne Parham, a guy who knows his business. It's a big file, about 2,7 MB, therefore i don't attach it here.