Atmospheric Dilemma

Bruinsrme

This is either going to be a good question or I am going to look like an idiot, here goes.

My home theater is in the finished cellar of my house. Lately I have noticed the brightness and overall quality of sound varies with the weather. On days with a low barometric pressure, rainy and/or dam, my system sounds less than desirable. Now today high pressure and sunny I can't get my butt off the recliner 'cause the system is awesome, writing this on the laptop with wireless lan.

I know a two degree temp zone can greatly affect sound travel through salt water, BUT.

Can a few millibars of atmospheric pressure affect the quality of sound that much?

Thank you

Scott

Onkyo DS-797

RF3 II

RC-7

RS-7

RSW-10

Well, I don't know about your speakers, but I have heard that early Quads and KLH 9s (the full range electro-statics) wouldn't work well on rainy days. I also know from personal experience the big Bozaks would sound even tubbier than usual after a stint of wet weather because the woofers' wool-pulp cones would soak up the moisture and actually get heavier while losing rigidity. (You were also supposed to rotate them 90 degrees each year to keep them from sagging out of alignment. A fun fact to know and tell.)

Other than that, I don't know.

Capt'n Bob9.gif