Sound from Computer to sound system?

Justin:

I've enjoyed reading your posts since I joined the forum.

I didn't know I needed a sound card...I use my computer primarily for business, but listen to internet radio while the machine is on. Since I have a home office, I was wondering what the music would sound like coming from my '77 ALK LaScalas if I routed it to the receiver.

I'll check out some sound cards tomorrow.

Many thanks,

Dave

Dave,

Should be no problem, since I just successfully experimented with it myself. I was listening to internet radio, etc., through Heresy's.

Check your connections for headphones (should be on back of computer, and note the connection size. You will probably need a cable from Radio Shack, or local electronics store, to connect from AUX on back of receiver to headphone receptacle.

Should be no problems. Email if you need more info.1.gif

2.gif Try my suggestion before spending any money. You can determine for yourself if the sound is adequate.10.gif

It sounds like you have an onboard sound card. they are fine for internet radio on computer speakers, but if you want it to sound decent, you should really look at a new card, a PCI slot card.

What kind of receiver do you have? does it have a digital input? if yes, then get something like a hercules GTXP (game theater xp) or an Audigy from Creative Labs.

If just analog inputs on the receiver or preamp, get a Voyetra Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

Of course these are all just consumer grade cards you can get for <$100. going up the ladder really changes the options, though these are all great cards.

Some options for sound cards that will work well with the optical connection.

Hercules Fortissmo III

Hercules Game Theater XP (GTXP) (great card)

Digifire 7.1

AudioTrack Maya 7.1 (great card!, very nice)

Creative Audigy and Audigy II with the daughter board

I would go for the AudioTrack Maya 7.1 first, if you don't want a daughter board. Then to the others.

What is the budget? Optical is MUCH more simple than Coaxial with soundcards that are PCI based, that is because you have to find a way to connect the Mini 1/8 jack digital output of the sound card to the RCA jack input on the receiver.

You do need a sound card on your PC. You need a sound card if you are going to hear anything! What you want to do is run a wire from the speaker out on your sound card to your receiver. It is very easy to and it will let you listen to whatever you want. Just remember that it can't be a digital connection. It must be analog.

You don't need a new sound card if you want, it will just make it sound better if you buy a nice one. So if you don't buy one you can hook it up in two places. In the back of the computer in the head phone jack or in the actualy built in sound card. The sound will be better if you hook directly into the sound card. So I just got a cord from radio shack. It will need to be a 1/8" plug/point (computer)that is split into 2 RCA Jacks(Denon). Now on the 1/8 point you will want to see 2 black lines on it, some only come with 1, look for the one with 2 black lines because that will give you stereo sound, the one with only 1 black line will give you mono sound even if on the Denon you plug in both the red and white RCA jacks. On the back of the denon hook it into one of the inputs, but not the phono. It won't play loud and it will humm really bad, because you need to hook up a separate ground that way. A good one to hook it up to on the Denon would be VCR 2 or VDP, thats what I use. Or you could buy a separate sound card and do as Justin said. Hope this works for you.

----------------

On 11/11/2002 10:11:06 AM rjb294 wrote:

You do need a sound card on your PC. You need a sound card if you are going to hear anything! What you want to do is run a wire from the speaker out on your sound card to your receiver. It is very easy to and it will let you listen to whatever you want. Just remember that it can't be a digital connection. It must be analog.

----------------

No. Not really true.

Nearly every motherboard has an onboard sound card, infact, every computer I own came with one standard, and i would nearly bet that every board sold at Fry's has an onboard sound output. So you don't need a traditional PCI slot card.

Second. Analog only? Why??? Why not take advantage of "cd quality" radio by using the digital connection. I have done it and it works great.

Also, if you use the digital output, you don't need to get a higher quality card, since the money is spent in the processor that does all the work, by bypassing it via a digital connection you don't need such a powerful card. that means you save $$$

No, you don't need a sound card if one is built in. That is a given. Why would you by a sound card if one is built in? That was not what I was saying. If you don't have one then buy one! That is my advice. You can take advantage of the digital connection only if that is supported by your sound card. Otherwise analog is the only way to go.