KG-4's & E-bay

88_Fingers

Friends -

Have been looking for KG-4.2's on e-bay for a while,

and am interested in knowing whether or not any of

the grizzled veterans around here have had good luck

purchasing (used) Klipsch speakers through reputable

sellers on e-bay. Good idea? Not a good idea?

For the standard 4.2's (in oak), can anyone tell me

dynamic range, dimensions, weight, and other relevant

specs about these speakers? What is a fair price for

a choice pair these days?

Thanks in advance 16.gif

-Dan

I bought my kg4's (not .2's) on ebay and had a good experience.

As with anything on Ebay, check the seller's feedback! You want to know who you're dealing with!

Optimally, you want to find a set that's located close to you, Klipsches are heavy and the shipping can eat you up! The further they have to travel, the bigger the chance they can get damaged. However, careful packing can mitigate this problem, mine travelled from Kansas to Korea without a scratch.

If this is the first thing you have ever bought on Ebay, I advise getting practise on some less costly, heavy and complex transactions, though.

Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...

I love the Kg4s and had two pairs before selling one a few years ago. The second pair is a permanent addition to my bedroom system.

I had recommended the Kg4s to a friend for his system, but he didn't know where to get them. I'm an avid ebay fan and have purchased many items on-line. I found a good pair and contacted the seller several times about condition, shipping, etc. His photos looked good, so I made what I felt was a fair bid and won.

Upon devivery I discovered the seller had used an earlier photo in the listing and the speakers were not only dirty, but had cracks in the surrounds of two woofers (seller had also tried to repair them with silicone)and one corner had been slightly damaged. I contacted the seller and ebay's "Safe Harbor" and practically had to threaten him with physical harm, before he would make compensation (reduction in the selling price). I have purchased over twenty items from ebay, but this was the first I had a problem with. I only provide it as an example of what could happen. I consider myself a pretty savvy buyer and do my homework, but there's always that possibility the seller lies.

What I usually do to minimize my risk is to first talk with the seller. You'll know right away if the seller is into audio, or someone at a pawn shop pushing his junk on the internet. Get pictures and make certain they're recent (learned my lesson). Set a value based on all the information and don't get caught up in the bidding frenzy at the end of the auction. Be considerate and pay ASAP and ask for a tracking number to track when the item gets shipped and when it will arrive. Check the box when it arrives for damage and note it on the UPS/FedEX shipping form you sign. This will save a lot of hassle with the seller should you need to prove it wasn't damaged during shipping. As long as you are careful and do your homework buying from ebay shouldn't be a problem. Hope this helps.

I have purchased 4 pairs of Heresys and numerous other things on eBay. Neven had a problem with audio gear. Everything was exactly as represented. Only problem I had with a purchase was with a seller who, perhaps unintentionally, shipped a box that had been opened at one time and was missing parts. But the seller made good. Of course, I made sure eBay and PayPal were pushing him to make good. Then there have been times when the seller did more than advertised. I have had free extras thrown in. And I have had sellers ship before receiving payment.

I have passed up opportunities that didn't seem right. There will always be another one sooner or later. Items with conflicting information are a clue. But I don't automatically rule them out. Sometimes the seller just doesn't know what he has or has gotten lazy and copied some text that he thought applied.

eBay and PayPal have programs that will indemnify you to a certain amount if something goes wrong. You might want to check them out.

Know how much the item you are bidding on is worth. Decide how much you are willing to pay for. Don't bid more.

If you have any questions about an item, ask the seller before bidding.

Local auctions, estates sales, want ads and charities will often yield a lower price.

Best place to get an idea what the speakers are worth is eBay completed items.