Getting at the Belle Woofer

Cut-Throat

I have recently aquired a pair of Klipsch Belles made in 1987. The tweeter and Midrange are very easy to get at, becuase the top of the back is open. The woofer however is behind a panel with no screws at all. I would like to clean out this area andinspect the drivers for damage.

The panels appear to have about 8 holes, the size of a small nail in a semi circle along the top and bottom. Not sure what these are for, but there are no screws whatsoever to remove the panels.

Does anyone know of the proper way to remove this panel, or get at the woofer in another way?1.gif

There is a panel on the bottom that should be screwed to the cabinet, I'm not sure how many screws it should have as I have La Scalas. There is a rubber gasket that seals the back air chamber and it often sticks tightly. Perhaps that is the shape you're in. Maybe a previous owner removed the screws and could not get the panel off and forgot to replace the screws. If this is the case, use a wide putty knife, say 6" and drive it gently between the cabinet and the panel in several places to loosen the gasket. I use a plastic hammer for this. Done gently, it will leave no marks.

The woofer faces rearward and looks through a 3" x 9" slot into the mouth of the bass horn. The bass horn is very similar to the common W-horn used in concert sound systems.

You will find great rewards from changing the crossover in that year model. Go with a Klipsch Type AA or AB-3(? the pre 2002 xover whatever it was) or ALKs.

Thanks, - You were right. I never thought of looking on the bottom. I unscrewed the panel and there was the woofer! As far as the crossover goes it says Type AB. Do you think I should mess with this type? - Is there anything I can do with it short of replacing the whole crossover?

I am currently awaiting the tweeters that I sent in to be fixed (new diaphrams).