Pro-Ject 9 Tonearm Manual

mobile homeless

Kelly,

Thanks for the links! They must be knew. I've searched the net for info about this arm for years, off and on. They've been out of production since the 80s sometime. Mine is olser than the ones in the pics, it has no plastic. I tried to pay someone to replace the wiring and nobody would take my money.

John

Chris, I missed you post here... Yeah, I dont know how Walter would feel about that page except to say that almost every customer I have been in contact with has expressed dismay at the fact there is no manual with the MMF-7. And the arm is complex enough that it should have a manual with it. That page is not perfect but it has more information that some others.

Hell, I could probably write a manual for the MMF-7 if I had the beast here. I am at a lost as to why Music Hall doesnt include it; perhaps they do and it's Walter's problem.

Good luck setting it up and drop me a mail in the morn; I'll be around. Look forward to hearing from you.

kh

ps- Craig, I think Pat is going to send you the amp sometimes soon. No rush really. I think he asked for your address in another thread. I might be hearing his preamp as well. I know will be exchanging info on this whole thing.

----------------

On 11/12/2002 9:33:15 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Why dont you invest the $6.99 in the full service manual for the 712 I linked above? Makes sense.

kh----------------

Kelly,

Thank you for the link and the suggestion.

Actually, I've collected six TTs over the summer (Dual 721, 1214, Marantz 6200, and three others). I wasn't sure whether to sell all of them to finance a better TT or set-up one of them properly (with new stylus, etc) and use what I have. Yes, it makes sens to get the service manual and set-up the 721 properly, then I can decide. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Well well well...

I just read the manual for the arm in English for the first time. This is certainly a lot more straightforward than I thought. 2 things to unscrew to adjust the height and one to ensure the needle points straight down - no biggie - I could do that.

I wonder why it took the guy that installed it 25 minutes to get it right?

Hell - at this rate I might even play with the counterweight thingie too..

So do we conclude that this is in fact a good arm as arms go?

c7s, glad you could use it. I have been directing my web activities away from audio the last few weeks but need to follow-up on the audio side.

Maxg, the controls are simple. Indeed, actually aligning and balancing the cartridge and tonearm is not that difficult, in fact, balancing the arm can be done in a minute or two. Mounting the cartridge takes a while longer but is also not that difficult. While adjusting the VTA and Azimuth is much harder to get right as it involves using your ears/perceptions to figure out the best setting. For VTA, you do want the arm generally parallel to the record but it is optimum to use your own listening to decide exactly where it's placed.

The main thing is there is no reason to really put all your trust in the dealers when many times they do not do as good a job as you could do. A good dealer is hard to find, especially one that takes the proper time to set up your cartridge/arm exactly right. Yours sounds pretty good. I still recommend you learning all you can for the light setup and maintenance of your whole system. It actually will help all the way around, including performance if you have some attention to detail.

kh

EDIT: Max, as for the Pro-Ject 9 arm... Does it rate among the best arms you can get? I really dont think so. Is it comparable to other arms in this price range? YES. Ultimately, I think a Incognito/Origin Live modified Rega RB-250/300 is probably a better arm for the money, but the Pro-Ject 9 has a lot of good design points. It surely is a decent arm and has gotten almost all favorable reviews; the fact that it comes with the Pro-Ject/MMF-7 series of tables is a plus.

----------------

On 11/12/2002 9:26:03 PM Kudret wrote:

Mike,

Thank you for the detailed instructions. I am quite new at this and that’s exactly what I needed. I set it up with V15-IV and it sounds pretty good – better than the Marantz 6200 (which has a not as good cartridge). One thing I noticed though, the anti skating dial seems to rotate easily with no apparent effect. I just checked tracking and tracking seems to be fine. Tomorrow I will use the test record again and perform all the other tests to make sure everything is right. So far so good- thanks again.

----------------

Kudret,

I'm glad to hear you got it up and running. As for the anti-skate, that should make a big difference when you move it while playing tracks 6, 7 and 8 on the HFNRR test record. I have the Type IV as well and after setting the TF and AS to 1.25 (th high end of the manufacturers suggestion), it handled all of those tracks flawlessly. I then used the Shure TF gauge and it is actually 1.35 grams, so I made the corrections on the table. Bear in mind, I have a brand new VN35MR stylus on my cartridge which has a stylus protector on it (not the stabilizer bar with brush) and I always keep it in the up position.

If you are not aware, Dual will replace any stylus for $20 on a trade-in basis. I believe the VN35MR retails for $90, so it is a very good deal. If you're not familiar with this stylus's history, I would certainly replace it. Give Barbara Laboy from Dual a call (800-516-2525) and tell her you have a damaged stylus and would like a replacement. She will tell you to place the old stylus and a check for $20 plus tax in an envelope, and mail it to her. Within 10 days or so, you will have a brand new one.

As for the service manual that is on the link that mobile provided, I highly recommend it. It's 26 pages long and tells you everything you need to know to fix the table. Unfortunately, it is not a users manual. If you can, try and find the users manual on-line and pick that up as well.

Mike

Kudret, I think you should work on the BEST of those tables, whichever it might be. IF that DUAL 721 is in good working order, it might be nice to setup. Glad Mike related the contents of the manual for I wasnt sure what came with it as well. The CS-5000 manuals appeared to be a great buy with three offerings supplied.

On the other hand, I REALLY strongly recommend that if you are going to get into vinyl seriously, you should probably sell all the tables and recoup as much money as possible, then throwing everything into one GOOD QUALITY table, arm, and cartridge. While you might have many options there, none of them will really equal the kind of sound you would be getting with a good table. And when you get deep into tube audio and Heritage Klipsch, your source is so important. It is worth it to not spread the resources thin and far, instead concentrating on QUALITY.

There are a host of used options as well as some new ones. I really think the bulk of the turntables in the low price range are really mediocre. Once you hear a really nice table (and it doesnt have to break the bank per say), you wont want to even mess with all the substandard option, which arent really worth the time.

kh

Mike an Kelly, thank you both once again.

Mike, I am aware of Shure replacement deal in the US but I am not sure if it exists in Canada. I'll be in the US for Christmas and I am planning to mail it during that time.

Kelly, I put an ad in the local newspaper for Klipsch heritage series speakers and I may need the money for that. I really intend to follow your suggestion and get a good TT in the near future. Until then Dual 721 should be ok but I know that it is not a permanent solution.

Got your email and am going over the options. I think the more you sell, the better you are as you can reclaim this sonically and put more effort in your better gear. I like having a variety of amps around but having too many sources seems too much. I would rather have two or three GREAT sources and then revolve different amps (or change systems - I have a dedicated 2A3 SET system and a dedicated 6BQ5/EL-34 Vintage one).

Get an excellent digital and analog source. At least one. Unfortunately, $400 is a very tough price point.

kh

I saw you live in Montreal. Just visited this summer (staying in Plateau Mont-Royal B&B) and it ranks up there in the top cities I have ever been with an amazing sense of life, vitality, culture, architecture, music, GREAT restaurants, excellent night life with live music (saw some GREAT jazz with a Sonny Rollins style sax), and the best combination of a small neighborhood-old world feel with the cosmopolitan nature of an international city. It has to be one of my favorite cities in the World now. Hell, my wife suddenly wanted to enroll in McGill, that is how bad SHE loved it!

I have a friend in Quebec City that might know of some good turntables up your way in order to buy more local. As said, the mid-100s level is VERY tough to do. It seems you get a dramatic step up in sonics in the 600-1000 range used. In the $400 range used, you are getting the less cared for good tables and the better low-mid tables. It's a tough place. I'll keep my eye out for something.

I have a friend in Washington State also looking like a fiend so I will be scanning. List the rest of your system if you haven't already somewhere. Or drop me a mail.

kh

EDIT: What is wrong with your Marantz 6200? It is a very simple BELT DRIVE as opposed to some of your other DD options. You know, I might try tweaking this model first with a standard Extremephono turntable mat and a good cartride if the speed is on. IS it in good shape?