Mint Klipsch Forte on Ebay

CatManFever

Did anyone here bid on this speaker? I saw it and e-mailed the guy a couple of questions (he seemed to be a powerseller) and waited for several hours but it was too late. Someone bought it and it looked brand new. It was the original Forte and not the Forte II. It came with the original boxes also. A very RARE find and I bet one lucky and happy guy.

(I also notice couple of Forte's haven't been bid on and one did not even meet its reserve. Are they becoming too disinteresting or something?)

I don't understand why Klipsch did away with the Forte I. 15.gif

Julian Hirsch really liked them. I wish he was still available to review the Forte II and the Klipschorn. I'd be really interested to see what he had to say.

I don't care much for the new Klipschs. I agree with what one fellow said about the "bean counters" coming in somewhere around 1987+ and Klipsch seemed to start getting "fancy" from there like the rest of 'em, instead of sticking to proprietary craftmanship, their, uh-um, forte. (No pun intended).

I stopped my search for a better speaker after getting a new set of Fortes in 1991. Just felt that I had reach the point of real audio satisfaction. My first Klipsch were the KG2s and then Heresy II's (which I still own). Only recently, I became curious about the Belles, and bought a used pair. Can't judge yet, as the crossover networks needed repair.

You know PWK and Julian had a war of words early on in the life of Stereo Review.

Is seems Julian reveiwed a Klipsch loudspeaker, and did not give it a glorious thumbs up(WHAT!).

The Colonel took offense, and sent a letter to Julian that was published in the next issue. The letter was technical in nature, of course, and kinda slammed Hirsch and the mag.

After that review, it was several years before Paul would allow SR any Klipsch speaker for review.

I'll post the article (and letter) if I can find.

Paul had this tendancy to "look down his nose" at those he considered less technically adept (at least early on), and particulary those that spouted terms he thought they knew nothing about. Thus, the "BS" pin.

One of the first Klipsch dealers, located in Shreveport, LA, told Paul that "he was his on worst salesman", because of talking down to dealers, prospective and existing.

As Paul said in the RS article, "My company went broke, Bob Moers company made money."

Just think, if not for Mr. Moers there may not have been a Klipsch & Associates.

That Hirsch review of the Forte's sold many of them speakers!

2.gif3.gif6.gif10.gif

PGH: What is your opinion on the technical accuracy of the SR report of the Forte? I subscribed to SR from 1981 to 199?, and recall a ho-hum report on the KG2(circa 1984). I auditioned many of the speakers/equipment tested and reported by SR, including the Forte and KG2, and found them quite educational. While I admit to be influenced by SR, I opted for the Forte based on it's merits. IMO, it is a true-to-Klipsch sound kind of speaker, only equaled or outperformed by other Klipsch of much higher price range.

Without reading the article again, and not having read SR in a long time, I think many, if not all, of those reviews by Mr. Hirsch were sugar-coated to some degree. There appeared to be much politics (or salesmanship) going on in those reviews. Those products reviewed were made by companies purchasing ad space in SR.

I don't remember, and again its been awhile since reading SR, ole Julian every giving a real thumbs down on any audio product run through his lab.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Forte, as in my family we own three pair, but like you, we purchased only after listening.

When someone may ask me to recommend a loudspeaker (and that's not often), I suggest Klipsch, but I also tell them to listen to as many as possible and purchase the loudspeaker which sounds best to THEM, and of course is within their price range. No need to take out a second mortgage to get good sound.

I just don't rely much on those reviews, and only as a starting point if I read about a product that sounds interesting.

Personally, and just my opinion, I think Julian was "placating" Paul after years of professional tension.

Is it just me, or did Mr. Hirsch look like a member of the Coneheads?

2.gif3.gif10.gif11.gif

LOL He sure did; a natural! I agree that even when JH made an adverse remark, it would not detract from the reported merits of the equipment under review: i.e., cluttered face panel, small controls, unappealing grills, etc. I wonder what ever happened to the mg. or if it still in circulation.

----------------

On 11/13/2002 3:39:13 PM Altavoz wrote:

LOL He sure did; a natural! I agree that even when JH made an adverse remark, it would not detract from the reported merits of the equipment under review: i.e., cluttered face panel, small controls, unappealing grills, etc. I wonder what ever happened to the mg. or if it still in circulation.
----------------

The link below takes you to the reincarnation of Stereo Review:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/index.asp

6.gif10.gif4.gif

Hey, I just went to Sound&Vision Online, and read their only review of a Klipsch product - Klipsch Synergry 6 Speakers

by Ken C. Pohlmann.

Mr. Pohlman, obviously a seasoned reviewer, begins page 2 of the review with "I started my audition with music."

As opposed to what - banging two pie plates together?

See what I mean about reviews (and reviewers)?

10.gif11.gif3.gif14.gif9.gif

OH, and to continue:

"It was immediately obvious that the KSB 1.1s were intent on surrounding me with a bright, forward sound quality. For example, on James Taylors Hourglass (which won a Grammy for best-engineered album) the KSBs really projected his voice it virtually leapt from the cabinet. The effect provided a great sense of presence while robbing his vocals of some intimacy and warmth, and it also subjectively yielded a sound that seemed smaller than it should be. Moreover, that kind of sonic ambition does not agree with my own preference for warm, dark speakers."

Whadda he say?!

This SOB bipolar, or what? The got medications to clear that crap up right away!

"...warm, dark speaker."? Supposed to listen to them, not drink 'em.

9.gif3.gif

----------------

On 11/13/2002 12:42:23 PM Altavoz wrote:

PGH: What is your opinion on the technical accuracy of the SR report of the Forte? I subscribed to SR from 1981 to 199?, and recall a ho-hum report on the KG2(circa 1984). I auditioned many of the speakers/equipment tested and reported by SR, including the Forte and KG2, and found them quite educational. While I admit to be influenced by SR, I opted for the Forte based on it's merits. IMO, it is a true-to-Klipsch sound kind of speaker, only equaled or outperformed by other Klipsch of much higher price range.

----------------

I still think that the Forte sounds better than the Heresy, K-horn, Chorus, LaScala & the Belle. It has much more warmth and depth than any other Klipsch speaker, hands down.IMO1.gif

I have Heresy's, Epic CF-2's, Chorus's and until recently, Chorus II's. I can tell you right now that none of them compare to my La Scala's! Even before the ALK's and Altec 511B's, none of those speakers provide the dynamics, openness, clarity and tightness of bass that the La Scala provides.

If you prefer the Forte to the Khorn and Belle, I would be curious to know your amplification as well as sources. I would also suggest you hear this equipment in your own listening environment...

Mike

My current system are Forte I's, Sunfire Cinema Grand amp and Lexicon DC-1 preamp. Set up in a similar room to yours. When I sold the stuff I had access to Yamaha, Adcom and Conrad Johnson. Again this was in the mid to late 80's. To add, the sound rooms were well designed. I have personaly never thought the LaScalas ever sounded all that great. They worked well for partys at my friends house when we used to drag them out to his pool area, but as far as enjoying them by sitting around in a room listening to music, I'll pass, they just lack warmth.

IMHO, the Heritage series have undeniable advantages, such as efficiency, and an addictive sound of their own (that's why I got the Belles for two-channel listening). While less efficient, the Forte was first to provide the signature Klipsch sound, with extended accurate bass and aesteticaly pleasing cabinets, at an affordable price. It remains a well-balanced speaker, which can do justice to two-channel as well as HT listening, without compromise. Sound preferences are subjective; I can only reiterate that I'm very pleased with all my Klipsch speakers, but have a preference for the Fortes.

>>After that review, it was several years before Paul >>would allow SR any Klipsch speaker for review.

>>I'll post the article (and letter) if I can find.

Yes, please do! I'd like to see what it says.

There is no doubt JH didn't really "bad mouth" any speaker or equipment as he seemed to be too much of a gentlemen, BUT - if you are familiar with his technique one could easily read between the lines and find which audio equipment were just mediocre, acceptable or exceptional, thus there was no real reason to "bad mouth" something. After all, I believe he was talking to savvy readers!

2.gif

----------------

On 11/13/2002 7:35:02 PM Brian HCM#1 wrote:

I have personaly never thought the LaScalas ever sounded all that great. They worked well for partys at my friends house when we used to drag them out to his pool area, but as far as enjoying them by sitting around in a room listening to music, I'll pass, they just lack warmth.

----------------

Is it any wonder, when you are running 200 watts plus of Solid State gear thru them? Try using 20 watts or less of tube amp with vinyl as your source. Then you will truly know what warm is my friend, but with all the detail, clarity and dynamics that only the larger Heritage speakers can provide...

Mike

----------------

On 11/14/2002 8:28:25 AM Mike Lindsey wrote:

----------------

Is it any wonder, when you are running 200 watts plus of Solid State gear thru them? Try using 20 watts or less of tube amp with vinyl as your source. Then you will truly know what warm is my friend, but with all the detail, clarity and dynamics that only the larger Heritage speakers can provide...

Mike

----------------

Yes thats my system, that doesn't mean I haven't heard the heritage series line with tube amps. I sold Klipsch with tube amps. IMO the Forte is a more musical speaker that has fantastic imaging and I still feel it was their best sounding speaker, remember this is my opinion.

1.gif1.gif1.gif

• 20 years later...

SR only reviewed quality equipment and why the reviews seem sugar-coated.  Most mags will, of course, only review quality stuff and not JUNK (why waste your time and their time) and that's why they all seem "sugar-coated".

On 11/13/2002 at 2:25 PM, pgh said:

Without reading the article again, and not having read SR in a long time, I think many, if not all, of those reviews by Mr. Hirsch were sugar-coated to some degree. There appeared to be much politics (or salesmanship) going on in those reviews. Those products reviewed were made by companies purchasing ad space in SR.

I don't remember, and again its been awhile since reading SR, ole Julian every giving a real thumbs down on any audio product run through his lab.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Forte, as in my family we own three pair, but like you, we purchased only after listening.

When someone may ask me to recommend a loudspeaker (and that's not often), I suggest Klipsch, but I also tell them to listen to as many as possible and purchase the loudspeaker which sounds best to THEM, and of course is within their price range. No need to take out a second mortgage to get good sound.

I just don't rely much on those reviews, and only as a starting point if I read about a product that sounds interesting.

Personally, and just my opinion, I think Julian was "placating" Paul after years of professional tension.

Is it just me, or did Mr. Hirsch look like a member of the Coneheads?

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gifhttp://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gifhttp://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/10.gifhttp://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/11.gif

6 hours ago, Ratty said:

SR only reviewed quality equipment and why the reviews seem sugar-coated.  Most mags will, of course, only review quality stuff and not JUNK (why waste your time and their time) and that's why they all seem "sugar-coated".

Any reason why you chose to reply to a thread from twenty years ago?

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2023 at 2:13 AM, Ratty said:

Holy Epic Thread Revival Post Batman!!!

1642409358876.jpg

• Like 1