Help! Which Heresys do I have?

DouglasG

Hello. I am hoping you will be able to give me some information or guide me to a source. My sister-in-law gave me a pair of Heresy speakers-- that's all. No manuals and the labels on back are mostly torn away. They are three-ways with 10" woofers. The labels read: Type HWL. Serial nos. 137x037/036. Any information and/or help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug Gaddy

You have just plain old Heresys...model is HWL...Heresy, walnut, laquered. You have K77M tweeters, K55 midrange driver and K22 woofer(and it is a 12" woofer...NOT a 10" one). You can do a forum search of this section and find out more about your particular Heresys...but we have already given you the info you asked for.

If by which model you mean Heresy or Heresy II, they are Heresy. As Builder said, they should have K-77-M tweeters and some flavor of K-22 woofer. Your Heresys are some from the last years of production. During the very last years of production, the midrange driver changed from K-55-V to K-52-H and K-53-K. And the crossover network changed from Type E to Type E2. I have a vague recollection of seeing a Heresy with the X date code with K-52-H. But I am not sure. I suggest you take the back off one. The models of all the components are clearly marked on them.

They should sound just great the way they are. If you want to try tweaking them for even better sound, all the tweaks are covered in the archives.

I left Klipsch in September of 1983. As best I remember, the Heresy was still being loaded with the K55V at that time...or had JUST changed over to the later model midrange drivers....but in 1982, the K55V was still the driver...at least in EARLY 1982!! I know that we were already getting in the replacement for the K55V before I left, but am not quite sure when it began to be loaded into any of the speakers. As usual, the employees began "stashing" away drivers for their future speaker purchases, just as they had stashed away the K77 tweeters and the pie-shaped logos previously...LOL! Most of the employees tended to like the "old stuff" for their own speakers!! LOL! I am sure that even 5 years AFTER the official changeover to the new drivers, there were still a few speakers built with the older drivers...likely for employees, though...with parts from their personal "stashes"...LOL! A few of the employees got carried away with their stashes at times...and had to hand over some of their Stash-stuff to the "powers that be"...LOL! One can only shove so much stuff under one's workbench in a clandestine manner before it begins to look like a freakin parts warehouse under there!! LOL!