Best listening mode opinions??

smyle1

I have an Onkyo 797 and have been playing around with all the listening modes for digital, PCM, stereo, etc....Was wondering what people have found to be the best listening mode for 2-channel stereo items, like CD's and records?

I seem to waffle between plain stereo and PL11-Music...

Any thoughts..

Thanks

Don 10.gif

For two channel music, the only "processing" I use is for the digital crossover to the sub.

I own and have listened to about 20 music DVD-As, obvously not a big sample. On many of these 5.1 channel "hi-res" DVD-As, the two channel mix sounds better than the 5.1 re-mix. The Eagles' Hotel California 192 KHz 2 channel version is a good example. I have put hi-res on hold till there are better mixes avaiable and bass management is available without sound degradation.

Movies are entirely different IMO. I use THX processing extensively on movies.

Bill

Thanks for all the responses....I feel I have to agree with you on the "stereo only" statements...Just has a better overall quality-more direct...Speaking of which, I put in Pink Floyd, The Division Bell this morning, Wow! I had forgotten how good this sounds, especially at just a slight volume increase (well maybe a little more than slight) just a great crisp recording, great work by Gilmore and the guys.

Don9.gif