Dryer-fresh tubes, ready for folding, no static cling

fini

A couple of years back my pal Joel was at a swap-meet here in Long Beach and came across a whole box full of tubes and knowing I was "into" them offered the guy ten bucks for all of them and gave them to me. Most were VERY obscure TV and radio tubes but in the muck I came across some black-plate RCA 6L6GCs and some nice 12AX7 and 12AU7, so you NEVER know!

That white basket could be a tube cage if you also keep a fan going, otherwise the plastic tube cage (laundary basket) will start to collapse from heat and then stick to the tubes and melt. Then they become more like tube dampers and can help mitagate the microphonics for better sonics. This method is sometimes called the "hamper damper" by diy audiophiles. And now you know the RESt of the story. I hope this information has been helpful to some of the tubie newbies who are learning how to do stuff here from us more experienced valveholics. We are here to share these good ideas.

-Tubie the Tuba

last night I roasted marshmallows over (actually on) my KT88s, they not only tasted better but the sonics were heavenly due to the fortuitous momentary damping effect. I too learned this technique when I was a newbie and the older guys taught stuff like this to everyone. Those were the days. (Works good on 6550 Tung Sol as well) and now every time I fire those babies up I can smell those mellow old marshmallows. Eventually the stuff totally burns off the tubes, so not to worry.....

-c7s

I have never tried to roast marshmellows on a tube amp before, is this what they mean when they say that tubes have a "sweet" sound??

I do remember a (former) friend of my dads roasting an lp on top of my dads Dynaco st70 one time when I was little, would this have the same damping effect?

All it seemed to dampen was my dads spirits, even though he usally does not thin his scotch with anything.

I also have a clothes basket/tube cage I am not using right now(my as yet uncataloged collection of tubes is packed in tissue paper in a cardboard box) and I would be willing to sell this QUALITY cage for only 3570 japanese yen, shipping may cost extra but I assure you this is a quality unit, absolutely rust free.

I am offering this unit without tubes, however I will propably list whats in my box of tubes once I have a chance to go through them all, I know I have a couple of Telefunken of the 12AX7,12AT7 variety as well as a number of RCA, GE, Raytheon,and Sylvania.

Hopefully I will be able to go through my box of tubes when I go home for thanksgiving.

Peace, Josh