Rusty Amplifier Question

White01L

There is some light rust on my mcintosh amp. Can I remove it someway? Should I try to remove it or should I just try to inhibit the rust? How can I remove it or inhibit it?

I hope I didn't overlook this topic covered elsewhere, I tried search and didn't find it covered.

thnx

I dislike it when a question goes unanswered.

This type of question has not appeared on the bbs.

Let me suggest that you send us photo. It will depend on where the rust is appearing.

Also, you might consult with audio classics in binghampton, n.y.. They're the largest reseller of Mac equipment.

Of course the big issue is how to maintain the value of the beast. So we want to be careful.

Gil

A picture is worth 2000 words in this case.

If it is on a decorative part, i would say get a dremil and tap off the rust till you get to "fresh" metal. then get some anti rusting paint and dab that on there. it really should never rust when it is kept indoors and has a good paint job on it. is this outside rust or inside the amp?

how to inhibit it? i use bull frog (i think that is the name... reminds me of the sun tan lotion). it is a spray on application. just put it on a rag and wipe down the amp. it is oily so you will want to wipe it down, making sure NONE gets on the electronics, and then dry it off a little. it is not the oil but the treatment that really works best. infact, i think they make some JUST for electronics that can be sprayed without worry. check that stuff out.

there are some rust removers, you could try a dab of that on a terry cloth towel and gently wipe it away and then paint it or use the bullfrog and whatnot. only problem is matching the paint...

Sorry about the picture quality, I think. Seems to show a lot more detail than I can see, plus I never noticed the rust on the black painted surface.

I appreciate everyone's input. I also got a reply from Mcintoshlabs, they said I could try neverdull on chrome part but to not get it on the lettering, for the lettering was silk screened on.

post-10748-13819245685616_thumb.jpg

white01l: I work in the automotive refinishing industry, as an apprentice. For the rust on the chrome surfaces, neverdull will work great. For the rust on the black painted surfaces, you can go to your local body shop and get a small amount of cleaner designed to remove rust specs from fallout of rail / iron dust on the finish of a vehicle, without harming the coating. ( I forget what type of acid it is ). BUT ! first get in touch with macintosh to find out what type of coating it is. It is most likely a powder coat finish, either a polyester base or an epoxy base. Either one will be fine, but if it is a lacquer - type finish, I would be wary of using the acid cleaner. If the finish is a high gloss black, you can try 3m perfect itIII rubbing compund on a damp terrycloth towel to help remove the light rust, making sure to keep off the silkscreening. After, apply a good quality paste wax that contains carnuba wax by hand to both the chrome and the painted surfaces, this shall help to keep further degradation at bay.