Chorus II - Sound damping - too much?

Irisonray

I’ve decided to update my Chorus II's  - Crites Crossovers & tweeters already done, I’ve made new component gaskets , sealed all inside joints and updated the damping with 1" acoustic foam on the sides and tops of the cabinets - (I bought them with pink fiberglass insulation already in the cabinets and will be removing it). Instead, I was thinking of adding denim insulation above the woofer to fill the top area.  Is that too much? Can you over do it with sound damping and significantly affect the sound in a bad way?

Thanks!

0C82ABF2-9696-458F-A7B3-1644A709ADB9.jpeg

6F4C933D-1073-4B76-965A-765C5FFA4C2A.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Irisonray said:

I’ve decided to update my Chorus II's  - Crites Crossovers & tweeters already done, I’ve made new component gaskets , sealed all inside joints and updated the damping with 1" acoustic foam on the sides and tops of the cabinets - (I bought them with pink fiberglass insulation already in the cabinets and will be removing it). Instead, I was thinking of adding denim insulation above the woofer to fill the top area.  Is that too much? Can you over do it with sound damping and significantly affect the sound in a bad way?

Thanks!

0C82ABF2-9696-458F-A7B3-1644A709ADB9.jpeg

6F4C933D-1073-4B76-965A-765C5FFA4C2A.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.  This section is for news and updates on Klipsch's website.  If you repost farther down in the Technical/Modifications section you'll get some good help. 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 10:15 PM, Irisonray said:

Thanks!

I think the acoustic foam looks to have done an excellent job , what a great fit ---------I would continue adding the same treatment to the rear panel and call it a day -my impression may be wrong but one has to be careful not to reduce the internal volume  of the speaker and so far ----it's been reduced by the 1 inch foam , do the math --   please post the brand and the type of acoustic foam you used , since others may want to use it as well -

• Like 1

You should be careful not to dampen the cabinet to death.The Chorus was designed so that the wood should and must resonate within a certain frequency spectrum.
The cabinet of the Chorus II is a resonating body, similar to instruments, i.e. guitar, contrabass and so on.Therefore you have to test different phases with different fillings to achieve the acoustic optimum 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The 1” foam I’m using is from Parts Express. Sonic Barrier 1” Acoustic Foam. It has an adhesive backing but it didn’t stick very well so I used a few 1/4” staples (the original foam was stapled as well) to secure it. I may leave it as I now have it because it’s much better than what was originally inside. Easier to add more if needed. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. 

Edited by Irisonray
  • Like 1