Promedia 6.2

nmh

For anyone out there with 4.1s and an Audigy2, try this....

Get a new set of 4.1s for $150 refurb or $200 new online. Using a 4 pole miniplug 1/8 inch to RCA converter cable. Output the Center/Rear/Sub channel and remix the sub with the Rear using adapters from radio shack. The one I used are 274-883, 274-886 and 274-881. End result is a 6.2 system with the left front speaker as the center channel and the right front as the rear. The remaining 4.1 setup is plugged in as usual. Any thoughts ??

If anyone has a suggestion for the remaining two satellites let me know. What speakers are people using for 6.1 surround with the Audigy 2 ? I had no interest in the Creative Labs 6.1 speakers myself. I am happy to have been able to keep using my Klipsch 4.1s, adding the needed front and now rear channels.

You should be able to do this with any 4.1 set of speakers. The reason I chose the Promedia 4.1s was the fact that I had a set in use already. There should be no reason that the same setup would not work with Logitech speakers. But for the same price you can get better sound with the Klipsch. That is.... Until the Promedia 4.1 supply runs out.

Originally I thought I would add a Promedia 2.1 set to create a 5.2 setup, using both the right and left speakers of the 2.1s as center channel. After the refurb 2.1s dissapeared from the Klipsch site, and I discovered that the new Audigy 2 has 6.1 output in both games (EAX advanced), movies (select few) and DVD-AUDIO (love that clarity), I was sold on the 6.2 setup. Works like a charm.

"The Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo 3 is unique being the only card on the market that supports 7.1 channel surround sound. It isnt an Audigy killer, and I think we can all agree that only the Audigy2 can really do that. On the downside, The FF3 doesnt support some of the more advanced environmental sounds or the extensive reverb models of other, more expensive sound cards."

Thanks for the link to the review. The lines above were taken from the conclusion. If 7.1 is the way to go, you will be able to do that with 2 sets of 4.1s. I chose 6.1 with the Audigy 2, so as to be able to listen to discs encoded with DVD-AUDIO, which is a 6.1 channel format.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

NMH, where did you get the 4-pole minijack to RCA cable that you use to connect the front center, LFE and rear center channel to your Promedia 4.1?

I recently bought a 4-pole minijack to RCA (3 connector: white, red and yellow) cable, but I found that the rear center channel leaks to the front center channel (vice versa) and it's causing a static humming sound to the set that I use for the front center, LFE and rear center.

Please help me out, because I can't bear the fact that I can only use my 2 set of Promedia 4.1 just for a 5.1 speaker setup :-(