Craig

Deang

GUYS

That little bugger is no joke !!

I have an original Dynaco Quadapter ( ca. 1972) and if the speakers - Front and rear - are decently matched you may well find your chin scraping the carpet on some recordings. On the other hand if you have a serious efficiency mismatch you will need to amplify the rears.

The original provided a level control for reducing volume to the rears but made no provision for reducing front channel O/P. If you are like me running KLF's on the front and Minimus 7's on the rear then amplification is a must for there to be any worthwhile effect.

That said a little fiddling can enhance the overall sound w/o creating an artificial "surround sound" effect.

Minimus 7's huh. So what's the deal here? Since the device is primarily dealing with out of phase retrieval, you don't have to worry about the bass much?

I wasn't even aware that this thing could be used with more that one amp. I talked to them on the phone about a year ago, and got the impression it was designed only to be used with one amp.

I also thought that one of those knobs acted like a balance/attenuator, so you could shift output between front and rear -- sort of like you can on a car stereo.

Isn't timbre matching a consideration here?

So, maybe I'll find myself a nasty, beat up set of Heresys -- yank the tweeter and the squawker -- remove the bass elements from the crossover -- and then mount the tweeter & midrange drivers, along with the crossover -- in the ceiling behind me9.gif

Definitely time for bed.

Here it is:

http://nanaimo.ark.com/~pat/surround.jpg

(I came across this the other nite).

DIY the free way..... The original Dynaco method of ambience retrieval (from the David Hafler days) is as follows:

Connect the two rear speakers in series, + to -.

Connect the remaining rear terminals, a + and a - from each, to the two front + connections.

I used this method for years, it works well BUT....not all recordings have ambience information to retrieve. Some may have none.

The effect isn't overwhelming, like discreet quad channels or Dolby or DTS etc.

Seems that Pink Floyd (DSOTM) was a good recording to try.

You probably won't need a rear level control, but if you do use a SERIES connected fader, only two terminals. One end and the center. Leave the other end unconnected.