Front Effect Speakers. Quintets?

User Name

I have a Denon 5700 home theater receiver and a separate Denon 2 channel Amp so I can run 7.1. I also have a chnace to pick up a pair of quintets for $70 and I want to use them as front effect speakers between my center and mains.

1) Can this be done and if so, how? The 7.1 setup is already accomplished but these extra effect speakers won't be part of 7.1, just for extra effect I guess. I'm not sure what you call that? 9.1? I'm mostly looking for what to hook to my speaker terminals on the receiver(s) I would think the separat 2 channel amp would drive the fronts, but what do I put on my front speaker terminals on the 5700?

2) Is that a good price for a pair of quintets? AND

3) Are quintets good for this reason? Normally they are used for fronts in a smaller setting anyway right? They're for people that don't have room for KLF 30's like I have. I think the quintets are rated at 200W.

Thanks,

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

The Quintets will be fine with your receiver, power-wise, unless you really crank it incredibly loud. The bigger question is what program material is going to be sent to the "effects" speakers. Yamaha receivers have some sort of signal processing to create material for the effects speakers. I'm not aware that the Denon has that processing. Where would the sound for the effects speakers come from?

DD

This is precisely why I asked. If I have my front mains on the separate amp, can't I put these quintets on the AVR 5700 as the main speakers. Won't they just be like extra sound up front? They don't necessarily need their own 2 channels? I'm not sure how I'm going to setup this 7.1 with my new amp. I bought it and moved at the same time so my theater isn't setup yet. Does anyone else out there have the same scenario where they need to use a separate amp to drive an extra set of speakers as well as hooking up the HT receiver that's 5.1 itself?

I just thought of another Idea too. The AVR 5700 has A/B surround. So I could have my KLF 30's up front, KSP S6's on the sides, KLF 10's in the back (A) and Quintets in the back (B). Maybe that's a better setup. What do you think?

un, 1st, i haven't heard quintets but i'm pretty sure they wouldn't be a good timbre match for your klf &/or ksp. iow, they may cost you more there than they're worth.

& front effects speaks as like used by yamaha provide some ambient sound from the front channels to expand the front soundstage outside the main speaks. don't want to run them inside the front speaks & duplicate the same signal. & again the timbre mismatch w/ the speakers.

"effects" preouts on the 5700 are for REAR effects aka rear surround. it looks like w/ the 5700 you have to use an external amp for rear effects, as well as a 7.1 input device passed through the 5700 to its outputs. but 7.1 is 5.1 + 2 REAR effects/surround speaks.

so if you want to do 7.1 & the a/b, pick up a single or another pair of klf like even the C7 for the rear surround(s) & use the klf-10 as the B surround for the music modes. you'll also have to have like a dvdp w/ 7.1 outputs & perferably the ex & es decoders for 7.1. & you'll need that external amp or another one to drive the rear surround/effects speakers.

or you could just stick w/ what you have & do either A/B or A+B surround w/ the s6 & klf-10.

don't sweat having the empty fronts terminals on the 5700. using the external amp for the fronts & leaving the 5700 fronts terminals empty frees up the 5700 amp to better drive the center & surround speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Quintets for front effects on a Yamaha DSP-A1 based system and they work great, replacing a pair of KG 1.2s. They seemed more suited for the task since these speakers supply subtle audio. Yamaha uses these channels as time-biased channels off the mains to produce different spatial environments. I am not familiar with your Denon gear, but if your Denon already does 7.1, why would you need additional front speakers?