RF-3 vs Cabasse Chaloupe: how to improve RF-3 clarity

Marios

Dear friends,

I've been enjoying my RF-3 for quite a few years now but recently I aquired a set of Cabasse Chaloupe speakers. First impression was the Chaloupes do voices and acoustic instruments way better but they lack bottom end and the RF-3 sounds better allround and is fuller.

Two weeks of listening later I actually enjoy the clarity of the Chaloupes better, way more precise and detailed than the RF-3. Just a pity they lack bass, which I tried to fill out with a sub, but they just can't compete with the RF-3 on electronic music or heavy rock.

Can't keep em both, the Chaloupes currently have my preference for listening, but I just can't let my loyal RF-3s go, even though their sound character is less refined, they do everything very well and I just can't justify replacing them with a maybe better but also somewhat limited alternative.

Now, if only you could have that same detail and clarity on the RF-3...

A few years back there was talk of "better" tweeters or membranes for the RF-3, or was it a crossover mod, I just can't remember... Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

20200905_212827~2.jpg

Edited by Marios
Writing error in the title

9 minutes ago, Marios said:

Dear friends,

I've been enjoying my RF-3 for quite a few years now but recently I aquired a set of Cabasse Chaloupe speakers. First impression was the Chaloupes do voices and acoustic instruments way better but they lack bottom end and the RF-3 sounds better allround and is fuller.

Now, if only you could have that same detail and clarity on the RF-3...

A few years back there was talk of "better" tweeters or membranes for the RF-3, or was it a crossover mod, I just can't remember... Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'd start by rebuilding the crossovers with higher quality parts doesn't have to be too fancy Dayton caps and mills resistors from partsexpress makes a  big difference lots of threads on the forum I did this recently to a set of RF-3's and the detail and clarity was noticeably better not sure they'll match the Cabbasse or not but cost isn't too much to try good luck!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...