Bypassing a receiver preamp.

Generally speaking, "tape-in" allows use of preamp section to route signal to another tape deck or recording device and/or to the amplifier section with no changes to it from the preamp section, EXCEPT to what goes to the Amp section. "tape-out" allows SOURCE signal to be routed to another tape deck, recording device(CD recorder), preamp, receiver, or amplifier... If you have tape monitor, all the preamp does is route the signal from the tape deck to the amp section...no changes in it unless YOU make them in the preamp for the signal going to the amp itself... unless the receiver has dedicated tape monitor controls. When recording on tape you are not hearing the source material, but instead you are hearing the playback head's playback of the just-recorded material when using the tape monitor feature...that is why if you are able to switch monitor off and on, there is a very slight time lag between them...in "on" mode, you are hearing the just recorded tape, in "off" mode you are hearing the source being recorded, instead.

Let me put this more directly. If I want to use an SS receiver (temporarily) in a bi-amp situation and do not want to used its preamp section, but just the amp, how to I go about this, eg. where can I plug into a typical SS receiver to simply utilize it amp section. I wanted to try out something with my NAD receiver for a moment to check a bi amp possibility and wondered how to eliminate the preamp section since I am already using another preamp prior to the electronic crossover.

-c7s

set all the preamp controls to "off"(filters and such), the bass and treble stuff to "flat", balance to center...run it into the Aux inputs or "tape in" inputs, and then use the volume control to adjust the level. If using the tape monitor "tape in" or the AUX-in, you will have a cleaner signal...and the AUX-in is normally more free of any distortion than other inputs.

Clipped - I know you probably checked this, but my experience with NAD receivers is that all the ones I've seen have preamp out/main in jacks, which are usually strapped together with a silver-colored metal u-shaped jumper. Does yours have that? If so, just plug your preamp into the "main in" on the NAD, after removing the jumpers. The volume control on the NAD will be bypassed, by the way, so your preamp will handle the volume control.

Doug

clipped, almost ALL NAD receivers have an IN jack on the back(as stated above) for the output stage. Have you actually looked at your manual? Most use U JUMPERS in the back (which are inferior sonically) to connect the preamp OUT stage to the output(in) stage. Just disconnect these jumpers and plug in the preamp to the INPUT. IT is that simple. And if you continue to use the receiver, sub the jumpers with a good interconnect(shorter the better).

IT would help if you told the model number. But most of the older NAD integrateds and receivers had this external jumper, plain to see in back.

The AUX IN will NOT DO THIS. It is just another line input named "aux" meaning any line source can be used. DO NOT PLUG AN ACTIVE PREAMP into your AUX inputs! The result will NOT BE PRETTY.

kh