parasound or KSS??

tigerwoodKhorns

I have a set of K-horns that I am running with a Denon 5800 receiver. I have 4 heresy's that will be used for surround when I finally get them hooked up. I keep hearing how great tubes and/or parasound equipemnt is and was wondering if adding some equipment would lead to an improvement for 2 channel listening.

my receiver has a "direct mode" for stereo listening that basically bypasses everything. it also has pre-outs. the following equipemnt is available locally:

KSS 100's Mono amps, 105 class A watts each. All new tubes. Teflon wiring, extra tubes. Mint. New $10,000 pair. Sell $1250 pair.

HIGH END-AUDIOPHILE Parasound Halo pre-amp & amp, Sony ES CD, PSB Image towers & sub, Monster powercenter & cables, 3 months old. $4600 list; sell $2600.

I was wondering if the KSS amps would make a difference since the signal going to it is still being processed through the SS Denon. The imaging and headroom that I have now is fantastic, and the denon seems quiet, even with speakers this efficient. The denon with the K-horns also seems to have infinite power but I keep hearing how good the tubes are from all of you guys.

If not, is the parasound worth it for the price if I use it in conjunction with my Denon?

I really don't want to spend the money right now, but if the KSS amps are something that I will have for 20 years, it is worth it.

Any thoughts?

Chris

Using a preamp section from a mass market receiver with tube amplification isn't going to net you the kind of improvement you are hoping for.

Since you are building an HT system, you are stuck with the processing the Denon gives you. You probably are better off improving the quality of your solid state front end.

Most here have decided it's best just build a separate system for two channel listening. You can get a very low powered tube offering to run with your K-horns for two channel, and maybe pickup another set of Heresies and a sub to complete your HT system. It's probably not much more money than what you are presently considering.

I think it's worth putting the extra effort into having a refined amp for the efficient main speakers, regardless (well not really completely regardless) of the sources. I think obtaining that clean 1st Watt is a real challenge for most ss amps and many tube amps, especially high power tube amps with feedback. Something like the Cary Rocket 88 will give you more than enough power, even in triode mode, and will be good for high quality listening. Your mains are top quality .. give them top quality power. There are pp amps, smaller than the Rocket 88, available that will still do structural damage to your house for ht applications. Don't get more power than you will really use. If you don't use it it's just added distortion and noise.

I suggest a good (as low power as you can convince yourself to get) tube amp for the mains and anything you want for the rest. That way, when you want 2 channel quality, you can have it.

leok

So what do you think about the KSS monoblocks?

I am obviously new to the tube game. I see that a lot of people reccomend a scott tube receiver. I could use that for the K horns, and run my turntable and DBX 3BX on that, then use the Denon 5800 for digital sources. But then it still seems like the SS "problem" is still there. Quite honestly, the new receiver and K-horns sound great, I am just wondering if there is another level that I am missing.

I have one more question. Because the new Denon 5800 receiver has no provision for moving coil phono, I was considering getting rid of my Denon DF33 Turntable and 3bx. Compared to the digital sources, the records sound "flat," even when expanded. (right now I am running the turntable through an older Denon receiver so that the MC phono works). Should I hang on to it?

Chris

I didn't comment on the monoblocks, because I am not familiar with the brand, and just don't know anything about them. Is there an online ad for these things that you can point us too?

I'm too tired to give any solid advice. I do think you are better off going with a low powered amp, either solid state or tubes -- and a reputable, well established brand in the event you need service. The Scott option is a good one. As a matter of fact, I'm doing this very thing with the second system I am rebuilding.

Putting the K-horns on a Scott with a TT would be a great sound. You can always add a decent CD player to the system later.

Mind as well keep the turntable. You already have it, and if you get rid of it, you may just end up wanting one again someday. You should look into a step up transformer that you can run with your regular MM phono stage of your new receiver -- so you can use you MC cartridge. I don't think they're all that expensive.

Records sound "flat" huh? You should know that you are the ONLY person besides ME -- that has ever said this on this forum.

You should also spend some time searching the archives, there is a ton of stuff out here.