Basement Theatre Setup

Buckeye_Bry

Hi Klipsch Community,

I am in the process of building out my basement theater. So far I have 2 towers, RP-8000, a center channel RP-504C, and Klipsch R-115SW sub.(Blue boxes in the image below).  It's being run by a Marantz SR7012 (9.2).

My goal is to eventually get to a dolby atmos setup. Unfortunately I do not have a dedicated theatre, so my basement shape is not conducive to a true Dolby Atmos setup. I just picked up two in wall speakers R-5800W (my wife does not want more towers or large speakers on the wall).  I also have four Polk RC80i for Atmos I'm installing this weekend (Yellow triangles).

My question is where to install the R-5800W.  In the attached image, I have two options for a 5.1.4 setup.Basement.thumb.jpg.4341f9b554b8f093175d0942dda2b263.jpg

1. The first option for the R-5800W is on the side located in red. These are not directly next to the couch. Unfortunately, the couch is 3-4ft behind this speaker location.

2. The other option is directly behind the couch as true rear speakers in green.

Thanks for the feedback.

BB

Edited by Buckeye_Bry

I would hook everything up except for the 5800s for now and see how that sounds.  You may find that you like the sound without surrounds as the Atmos speakers will provide a lot of the surround fill.

Otherwise the behind the couch would work best.  It's not ideal as surrounds in a 5.1 setup are typically placed beside your listening position facing inward but in your case they'd sound a lot better behind you than way in front of you.

8 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I would hook everything up except for the 5800s for now and see how that sounds.  You may find that you like the sound without surrounds as the Atmos speakers will provide a lot of the surround fill.

Otherwise the behind the couch would work best.  It's not ideal as surrounds in a 5.1 setup are typically placed beside your listening position facing inward but in your case they'd sound a lot better behind you than way in front of you.

That's kind of what I am thinking, putting the 5800's on the rear wall.  Obviously not ideal, but probably my best option.

Maybe down the road I can put RP-250S as side speakers. At least they would be pointing towards the couch.  Are there any in wall directional speakers? Closest speaker I can find is R-5650-S II.

I think you'll be perfectly happy with the R-5800W's on the rear wall as you have shown in green. And unless you're planning on putting the right hand side surround on a stand to the side or slightly behind the listening area, I wouldn't even bother with the side surrounds. No point in confusing the sound field by putting the surrounds too far in front of you, even if they are pointing back at your listening area. Once you have the dolby atmos overheads in, I think the 5.1.4 setup will sound great. And while you can still experiment with adding the side surrounds at the red position, my gut feeling is that you'll get more value out of adding a second sub than adding the side surrounds... just something to think about... 🙂