Forte III + Academy + Marantz 7013. What am I doing wrong?

Nabludatel

Hello fellow Klipsch community members.

First of all I wanted to thank you for all the information I gathered on this forum. I'm very happy with the setup I bought after reading the forum (especially for music) yet I sometimes have a concerns about the center channel: In 1/3 to 1/2 of movies in DD+ L C R mode (stereo + center channel) the sound seems to be much less detailed than in DD+ L R (stereo only) mode. Even voices and nuances of dialog sound  better with stereo only. It does not apply to all movies, it's relevant for up to 50% of them, old and new, regardless. It seems very odd to me.

I have everything set automatically with Audyssey provided with the amp.  As I said center speaker bought used, it seems to work fine both horn and woofers.

What can be the problem?

Are details on Academy much worse than on Forte?

Maybe the Academy speaker is defective, how can I test it e.g. some special sound track to listen or some inexpensive equipment? 

Maybe some additional set up needed? 

Maybe there's more appropriate center channel to accompany Fortes?

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Here's what I got. New Fortes III, bi amped, 1996 Academy bought on eBay, Marantz 7013. There will be two SVS PC-2000 subwoofers between the rack and a Fortes soon.

IMG_5711.jpg

• Like 1

That's what can happen in non-timbre matched setups.  I tried using an Academy between Heresys and really wanted to make it work but it just didn't sound right to me.

With the layout you have a third forte is 110% the way to go. 

• Like 2

It is not the timbre matching that is the issue here it is the poorly mixed movie soundtracks.  I have the same issue with movie dialogue in some if not most soundtracks and I have a La Scala center.  Also Audyessy sets everthing flat which is not a good thing at all perhaps use it as a base setting and tweak from there.  Use your ears do not trust a computer algorithm.  Lastly the Academy is at least 20 years old I would throw one of Bob's titanium diaphrams in the tweeter and refresh the aging capacitors and I can assure you that will bring it back to like and add the sparkle you are looking for.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1