Once the Moondogs are gone..... Whats next???

j-malotky

Kelly, thanks for the head's up ... didn't get that email but I've been OOO for almost 10 days now. I usually spot your emails first.

Anyway, they're gone :( I'm new to Audiogon really ... but simplistically it is where "those in the know go" and the good stuff doesn't last long. It is to Ebay what a fish is to a bicycle ...

Let's have a little off-line discussion when you have a chance ... This is not urgent stuff but I would like to get the vinyl back up and running with the RIGHT solution. If that takes a little while, so be it.

My problem, like many newbies, is NO FRAME OF REFERENCE. In Vino Veritas, In God We Trust, All Others Bring Data ... I'm working with like zero hours on the clock. This is where you come in ... You have the ears, the opportunity, the years of experience. Just put me on the right vector, I'll listen.

Hey, interesting comment about the Eico ... I think you know after a 100 emails/threads on how much I love the Eico that there is no doubt about my loyalty on that front. Yet I heard traces and instruments and phrasing with the SETs that I hadn't heard before ... and that's addicting.

Yet the Eico makes maybe a better total music package? Sounds like heresy (NPI) to say that so soon.

The CW II's I have -- you SHOULD hear them with SET. It is a thing to behold. I'll tell you what ... if you're doing a round trip by here with a month or two in between, I swap you so you could give them a serious listening .... Allen could maybe chime in here, but I think there is a serious upgrade path there ... I know the Khorn thing may require a new room ultimately, but the CW II's are sweetness in motion. The dispersion on them is unbelievable.

----------------

On 12/2/2002 11:34:43 PM jnorv wrote:

Forget about the wire debate. We have the potential for a whole new knock down drag out fight over the best type of battery to supply thes babies.

----------------

I play electric guitar - well hack may be a better word - and there has always been a scoff at Eric Johnson's claim he could tell what battery was used in his effects box. Not owning any stomp boxes, I had no opinion.

Well the other day I took the plunge. In my research, I came across the following: << http://www.analogman.com/fuzzface.htm >> About 40% down the page, is a link to some sound samples. Look for: "Two NKT 275 versions in a dual true bypass loop box. Starts with Alkaline Duracell (twice), Cheap Gereral Purpose type (twice) then Duracell (twice again) on a Les Paul. Listen to the high end change. DURACELL2.MP3"

You can REALLY hear a difference between the battery types.

I also like the idea of seperate wire feeds to the power amps - I'll have my electrician - who is re-wiring my house now - complete that.

The best sound, aside from handcrank generation, is from hydroelectric power. More blackness and much less grainy than coal fired power. Nuclear powered electricity is the worst especially with tubes and vinyl. I have a generator hooked up to an exercise bike in my living room, so I get exercise and the best sound stage at the same time. You need to also think about the extra 3K you need to put into bike upgrades to quiet the bike down so it hums less than the amp.

If you can swing it, although it is not always convenient, the ultimate audiophile sound can be obtained from direct DC by hooking a large number (hundreds) of fresh lemons in series (copper and zinc anodes). The lemons do have to be changed every couple of days, but it is worth it. Nice fragrance for the house also, very lemony, mmmm..mmm.

Next best sound can be obtained by electricity obtained from rubbing a comb through the kitty's fur, this is a lot more work, and not advisable if one is allergic to cats, but is especially good for listening to modern jazz, I am not sure why. If you must there is over the counter allergy medication for audiophiles. There is a DIY way to do this with squirrels also, but I momentarily misfiled the lynx. Do an advance google search for squirrels and soundstage, you will be amazed.

There is a guy in our audiophile club here, Buford, who powers his car stereo by sliding over the car seat to generate really clean power. The big expense here is the slacks or pants you wear. Best car audio I ever heard though. If you do this, it is important to remember to disconnect that little rubber strap which is sometimes mounted under the chassis of the car, which drags along the road in order to eliminate the shocking static electricity.

I am currently building a steam powered electric generation system which will burn only cornstalks from the garden. It turns out there is a whole controversy about which is the best variety of corn to use with tubes vs solid state. I will post the info when I know more about it. I do know there can be dramatic sonic consequences if you allow the corn to cross pollinate. Best to build large geodesic dome greenhouse over each different corn crop. You can get a kit from the major audio houses for this, they also sell the recommended seed as well as the NOS tubes now.

The audiophile hobby crosses all borders, everything relates, music will bring the world together......

-c7s

Jeez, 2 in the afternoon and you're already doing drugs. You have to love California. Of course, if this is your normal mental state, then perhaps I am living in the wrong place.

I used to shop at King Soopers on Capitol Hill in Denver (~ 8th and Lafayette or thereabouts) ... at 11 pm, everybody was wearing sunglasses and sucking the NO out of whipped cream canisters in the refrigerated section. What fun! We used to "prepare" for those late-nght shopping experiences.

Come to think of it, there WERE people wiring citrus fruits in parallel to run their battery-powered grocery carts. Why didn't I think of that before ???

Partly it is California, but I think fini and myself are out of our element, really, we should be putting together scripts for Sponge Bob Square Pants instead of collecting organ tubes and tweaking speaker cabinets.

Now that I think of it, how about a animated feature. Did anyone besides fini notice the tube gear in the movie High Fidelity?

-c7s

Thinking about the citrus powered shopping cart....I got another idea...ready for Christmas.

Run the lights on your lemon tree with wires that connect to the lemon batteries which are still growing on the tree. This could really be done, it is a matter of finding some kind of lights or led's which require very low power. Think I wlll get out the volt meter and check some lemons for a ballbark figure. Now I am getting serious.

-c7s