Another Clean HF-81

NOSValves

NOS,

I thought that you were a "Scott" Man only and now you are making pitches for Eico. Just kidding, the prices for the decent scotts are through the roof. I'm considering an eico myself, I will track them to see what they are going for. How many watts is eico compared to scott? Both of them have great reviews though.

Good examples of both can become expensive with good NOS tubes included but not really in relation to more modern samples which dont have the same quality of output transformer unless getting into high dollar range (the output transformer is perhaps one of the key ingredients in tube amplifier sonics).

Both have good points with the EICO probably winning out on the line stage only while the Scott comes in with the better phono stage. IF going EICO and wanting records, it is best to get a dedicated phono as well unless you can modify the stage within. As is, the Scott is probably better for LPs in stock form.

I just think the EICO line stage with a good CD input is one of the most amazing things I have heard when working at its best with good tubes and parameters in spec. With the Rega Planet it is a VERY beguiling match, giving almost analog-like reproduction and transparency.

The link Craig provided was a very good deal(despite the somewhat messy transformers). It didnt last long...It was gone in a matter of hours or less.

kh

I'm a trader 1.gif no but really both amps are nice. I personally like the Scotts better CD or phono input. I find the EICO's just don't have enough guts. They sound great to a point and then putter out or loose steam. I'm just used to more power and like my volume louder than most people. But they are both nice amps. Also another thing I like better about Scotts is for the most part there factory wired so its one less worry when buying them. How a amp sounds can vary greatly by the quality of the original wiring job.

Craig

I haven't heard either of the amps, I'm mainly following the recommendations of individuals on this board. Sometimes this isn't easy to do because you have people in different camps who love their piece. It will boil down to the best price for the condition of the amp.

How does the Scott 299 pair up against other Scott series? A lot has been said about the 222 series and the A/B of the 299. A seller contacted me off line about a 299 (No Suffix) and quality/sound wise what type of amp is it?

If there is a "best" amp in the Scott series what would it be, which one has the most powert and best sound? Appease me if this is redundant, but there are so many of them to choose from--I want to get the best bang for the buck. NOS mentioned different brands in an earlier thread but he did not go into overkill describing them.

EE

Opinions are varied on which one is best and to be honest they all sound similar. I like my 299B and also loved my 299A (which is a 299 they didn't denote the A everyone calls them A's just to save confusion).

299/299A is a real nice amp !! As long as the transformer are lined up along the back of the amp. There is another version (Original) that has transformer along the side that can be a gamble it has a record of transformer failure. If there still good they most likely wouldn't give you a problem. Edster has one of these original 299's and it works fine. The one you sent me a photo of is the second version with the transformers along the rear.

Craig