Will CDT-5800-C II in ceiling speakers work as rear in-ceiling speakers in this 3.1.2 setup?

docnenos

I am building a Dolby Atmos home theatre in a 5.1.2 set up in my basement for movies and music and looking for help if the setup will work and just what kind of receiver I would need to power up these puppies.

The main room dimensions are 14' x 11' x 8.5' (LxWxH)

I've hard wired two in ceilings about a foot back from the centre couch where the movies will be watched.

I'm thinking of the following components:

• 2 X RP-8060FA Dolby Atmos Floorstanding Speakers
  • 1 X RP-600C Center Channel
  • 2 X CDT-5800-C II In-Ceiling Speakers
  • 1 X SPL-120 Subwoofer

I have two questions really from you all if you can help as I've never owned Klipsch speakers before but heard them and love the sound they produce.

1. Will the CDT-5800- C II in-ceiling speakers work in this set up to get a Dolby Atmos sound experience?
  2. I'm stumped at what kind of Receiver I would need to adequately supply this setup? Not looking to go super cheap but having blown my budget on these speakers I have to make sure I don't break the bank on the receiver.
Edited by docnenos

Hi @docnenos, I'm not sure I understand your proposed setup exactly. If you buy the components in your list, you will essentially be setting up a 3.1.4 system, which wouldn't make much sense at all in my opinion.

On 12/24/2020 at 5:51 PM, docnenos said:

Will the CDT-5800- C II in-ceiling speakers work in this set up to get a Dolby Atmos sound experience?

These in-ceiling speakers will work great for overhead dolby atmos speakers. But I'm concerned that you haven't planned for surround speakers. I wouldn't use the in-ceiling speakers for surround channels.

On 12/24/2020 at 5:51 PM, docnenos said:

I'm stumped at what kind of Receiver I would need to adequately supply this setup? Not looking to go super cheap but having blown my budget on these speakers I have to make sure I don't break the bank on the receiver.

You can use virtually any receiver that has enough channels for the setup you want to build from any of the big brands: Yamaha, Marantz, Denon etc. The exact receiver will depend on your budget and number of channels. For a 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 setup, you can get away with a 9.2 channel AVR (I like the Yamaha RX-A2080 or RX-A3080, but Denon often has more features at a given price point if that's what you're more interested in), but if you want to do a 7.1.4 setup, then you need to be looking at one of the 11.2 channel AVR's from Denon or Marantz. 

Don't worry too much about power... I'm confident any of these receivers can easily power all your Klipsch speakers.

Now, if it were me buying this gear, I would purchase the following instead:

2 x RP-8000F Floorstanding Speakers (no built in Dolby Atmos modules - I don't like the Dolby Atmos modules that rely on bouncing sound off your ceiling. I hear they do work to an extent in some cases, but in-ceiling speakers will always be way better for Dolby Atmos overheads)

1 X RP-600C Center Channel (or the best center you can afford... RP-504C would be my first choice for what it's worth)

2 x RP-502S or RP-600M for Surround speakers

4 X CDT-5800-C II or PRO-180RPC In-Ceiling Speakers for Dolby Atmos

1 X SPL-120 Subwoofer (but I would try and stretch it to the 15 inch SPL-150 if you can squeeze that out of your budget... then at a later stage you can add a second one if you want more even bass distribution)

This will give you a 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos setup. If any of these models push you too far over your budget, then just pick the lower models in these ranges, but hopefully this will help give you an idea of what type of speakers you should be looking for.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, inMotionGraphics said:

Now, if it were me buying this gear, I would purchase the following instead:

2 x RP-8000F Floorstanding Speakers (no built in Dolby Atmos modules - I don't like the Dolby Atmos modules that rely on bouncing sound off your ceiling. I hear they do work to an extent in some cases, but in-ceiling speakers will always be way better for Dolby Atmos overheads)

1 X RP-600C Center Channel (or the best center you can afford... RP-504C would be my first choice for what it's worth)

2 x RP-502S or RP-600M for Surround speakers

4 X CDT-5800-C II or PRO-180RPC In-Ceiling Speakers for Dolby Atmos

1 X SPL-120 Subwoofer (but I would try and stretch it to the 15 inch SPL-150 if you can squeeze that out of your budget... then at a later stage you can add a second one if you want more even bass distribution)

This will give you a 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos setup. If any of these models push you too far over your budget, then just pick the lower models in these ranges, but hopefully this will help give you an idea of what type of speakers you should be looking for.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question @inMotionGraphics!

I am rather new to this and after reading on the topic I've realized that your suggestions make much more sense than what I was considering. I have ditched the ATMOS setup altogether as the room is not really built for that kind of sound. (Maybe for an actual theatre room). I think I'd be wasting money on all that gear.

The problem is that I don't have ample space to place two speaker behind the seating area and prefer to put 2  in-ceilings. That is why I wired the ceiling to be able to install two ceiling speakers in the back so I wouldn't sacrifice walking space around the sofa.

I am likely going with the following setup:

2 x RP8000F speakers.

1x RP-600C or 504C centre channel

1x SPL-120 Sub (possibly adding a second in the future so I'm thinking of powering it with a Marantz SR5015 7.2).

I'm stuck on what rear in-ceiling speakers would work with that type of setup for surround sound? Would very much appreciate your suggestion.

• docnenos changed the title to Will CDT-5800-C II in ceiling speakers work as rear in-ceiling speakers in this 3.1.2 setup?
5 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Inmotiongraphics pretty much nailed it. 

Your list didn't have any surround speakers listed.

Lots of choices for AVRs, your budget will dictate. Accessoriesforless is a good source for AVRs.

I guess if I'm not going for Atmos anymore I'm wondering what in ceiling surround speakers would work with the setup I replied to above?

6 hours ago, docnenos said:

I'm stuck on what rear in-ceiling speakers would work with that type of setup for surround sound? Would very much appreciate your suggestion.

Happy to be of assistance... 

Both the CDT-5800-C II or PRO-180RPC will work well as in-ceiling speakers, although I'd still rather put the surrounds on the side walls (inline with and slightly above the listening position, or slightly behind the listening position), or on the rear wall if there are no side walls. If there is no chance for either of these options or placing them on stands for whatever reason, then I suppose having the surrounds in your ceiling will be better than nothing.

For what it's worth, Atmos was definitely a worthwhile upgrade in my lounge/theatre and totally worth the investment and effort... so if you can pull off a 5.1.4 or 5.1.2 Atmos setup, I don't think you'll regret it... 🙂