Connecting Klipsch RP-500M, SPL-100 to Onkyo TX NR-686

Gabo7

Hi,

I have an Onkyo TX NR-686 and just received Klipsch RP-500M bookshelf speakers and a Klipsch SPL-100 (450W) subwoofer. I am wondering how to connect the components and if I will run into any issues? New to home theater so still confused about all of the requirements.

Your biggest task will be wiring

The manual and lots of videos on youtube for entry level

Sometimes when we sold wide area data networks to customers

We would do the systems builds for the nodes and network in a lab or large room or warehouse.

Then wire and connect them to plan, and test for weeks with various loads and configs,

When we were satisfied, we would update the drawings and instructions, crate it, and install it across a State, Region, Country or the world.

Put your receiver up on a box or low table in front of the TV with plenty of room to work behind it, run the wires over the floor to your speakers, if 5.1 probably the 4 corners of the room at ear level sitting, and center in front of the TV, usually a shelf on the TV platform.

Connect everything up and follow the installation instructions, and learn as you go.

Use it like this for weeks until you are totally comfortable, then place the amp where you want it long term, and run the speaker wires, the biggest part of the job. I ran mine under the LR floor in the basement, it's a big job. Belden twisted pair in wall speaker wires are outstanding, but not beauty contest winners,

Lay it all out, connect the two fronts, and use it that way for a few days,

then add the sub, then center channel, then rears taking time to experiment with the settings and tuning all the way.  Draw everything before you do it, and keep notes. Give yourself a month to learn. Your amp should support 2.0, 2.1, 3.1 and 5.1, use all of them as baby steps.

Your system should have a setting for restore defaults, test it early so you know how to reset your system to factory defaults.

While the speaker wires are all over the floor, throw some throw rugs over them so no one trips.

MC

Welcome!

Using 12-18 gauge 100% OFC speaker wire, connect your RP-500Ms to the Speaker A or Main Left and Right speaker outputs on your Onkyo.  Left speaker is to your left as you are looking at them from the front. 

Connect your subwoofer with an RCA cable to the Subwoofer Out pre amp output on your Onkyo to your subwoofer's Line In.  Set the output level on the sub around the 11 o'clock position, phase to 0 and set the crossover setting on your sub as high as it can go, usually 150-200Hz.

In the menu of your Onkyo, specify that you have a 2.1 setup, two main speakers and a subwoofer.  Set bookshelf speakers to Small and set the crossover frequency between 80 and 120Hz, whatever blends best with your bookshelf speakers. 

Turn it up and enjoy!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...