klipsch kpt-1201-t drivers

Pio

hello, i have a pair of kpt-1201-t unused, do you think it is possible use the drivers/crossovers to make a pair of new speakers, any opinions or ideas? i think the k-28 can sound better in other type of enclosure.

any help will be really appreciated.

best regards..

Pio

• Like 1

the internals of the KPT-1201-T can be used to make a 2 way speaker --the enclosure of the KPT-1201-T is  a THX certified  SMPTE /ISO  2696  X- curve de -emphasis style enclosure for optimal bass - 

NORMA ISO 2696 -Este es mi primer mensaje aunque llevo leyendo este foro asiduamente. Mi consulta gira en torno a la norma ISO 2696-X. Fija una curva de ecualización para las salas de cine y es la norma que exigen los de THX para conceder el certificado (entre otras prestaciones).

-you can  re-use the motorboard of the KPT -1201-T  , the top  and the rear panel  of the cabinet with the  crossover as panels for the new enclosure --

-all you would need are new panels for the bottom and the sides  -the rear panel may have to be extended slightly and glued  , but you can use the wood from the leftover panels as they are of the same color -

45 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

the internals of the KPT-1201-T can be used to make a 2 way speaker --the enclosure of the KPT-1201-T since  it is  a THX certified  SMPTE /ISO  2696  X- curve de -emphasis style enclosure for optimal bass - 

NORMA ISO 2696 -Este es mi primer mensaje aunque llevo leyendo este foro asiduamente. Mi consulta gira en torno a la norma ISO 2696-X. Fija una curva de ecualización para las salas de cine y es la norma que exigen los de THX para conceder el certificado (entre otras prestaciones).

-you can  re-use the motorboard of the KPT -1201-T  , the top  and the rear panel  of the cabinet with the  crossover as panels for the new enclosure --

-all you would need are new panels for the bottom and the sides  -the rear panel may have to be extended slightly and glued  , but you can use the wood from the leftover panels as they are of the same color -

thank you very much, i will try it

Pio

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pio said:

hank you very much, i will try it

-

You can duplicate the measurements of the top panel  for the bottom panel and the motorboard will slide , right  into these 2 panels - 

-the rear panel will connect to these 2 panels , but  an extension is needed as it is currently slightly  shorter by a few inches for a perfect rectangle  -

the 2 side panels will complete the new enclosure  -

21 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

-

You can duplicate the measurements of the top panel  for the bottom panel and the motorboard will slide , right  into these 2 panels - 

-the rear panel will connect to these 2 panels , but  an extension is needed as it is currently slightly  shorter by a few inches for a perfect rectangle  -

the 2 side panels will complete the new enclosure  -

Do you think the bass will be better?

Pio

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pio said:

Do you think the bass will be better?

Pio

yes ,  deeper since the volume of the cabinet will increase -

-the ideal cabinet dimensions for bass  with the K28k woofer  is the Forte III  --

-https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/Forte-III-Spec-Sheet-v061.pdf?mtime=20170621103731&focal=none

7 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

yes ,  deeper since the volume of the cabinet will increase -

-the ideal cabinet dimensions for bass  with the K28k woofer  is the Forte III  --

-https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/Forte-III-Spec-Sheet-v061.pdf?mtime=20170621103731&focal=none

The woofer in kpt-1201-t is a k-28-ep, do you think is the same driver?

Pio

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pio said:

The woofer in kpt-1201-t is a k-28-ep, do you think is the same driver?

yes ,  same stamped steel basket and cone -  but the k-28-EP is rated at 2x higher power handling  than a K28K ( KLIPSCH )  or K28E ( EMINENCE ) -

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/KPT-1201_Cutsheet.pdf?mtime=20190626151656&focal=none

the K28k  was made by Klipsch -    used in Heresy  III ---------------------- speaker rating -100 watts rating

the K28E  is made by Eminence  -  used in Heresy III-IV-Forte III-------speaker rating   100 watts rating

the K28EP is made by Eminence - used in KPT-1201-T2  -----------------speaker rating   200 watts rating 

all k-28 series woofers are 4 Ohms - 

22 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

yes ,  same stamped steel basket and cone -  but the k-28-EP is rated at 2x higher power handling  than a K28K ( KLIPSCH )  or K28E ( EMINENCE ) -

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/KPT-1201_Cutsheet.pdf?mtime=20190626151656&focal=none

the K28k  was made by Klipsch -    used in Heresy  III ---------------------- speaker rating -100 watts rating

the K28E  is made by Eminence  -  used in Heresy III-IV-Forte III-------speaker rating   100 watts rating

the K28EP is made by Eminence - used in KPT-1201-T2  -----------------speaker rating   200 watts rating 

all k-28 series woofers are 4 Ohms - 

Great, if the same driver maybe I will make a heresy III/IV size sealed cabinet, what do you think?

Pio

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pio said:

Great, if the same driver maybe I will make a heresy III/IV size sealed cabinet, what do you think?

Pio

if you want to use the same drivers and crossover , you must re-use the  front motorboard with  0 changes  , but you can turn it 180 degrees , this is critical  for the front port  and the time alignment of the woofer with the HF horn and HF  Driver --and the enclosure will sound right -

- the rest can be identical  in depth  to a  Heresy IV or III -

On 12/30/2020 at 11:07 AM, RandyH000 said:

if you want to use the same drivers and crossover , you must re-use the  front motorboard with  0 changes  , but you can turn it 180 degrees , this is critical  for the front port  and the time alignment of the woofer with the HF horn and HF  Driver --and the enclosure will sound right -

- the rest can be identical  in depth  to a  Heresy IV or III -

Thank you very much, I was listening the kpt-1201-t last night and after tweaking the sound with a dbx pa2 and mic. the sound surprised me.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Pio said:

Thank you very much, I was listening the kpt-1201-t last night and after tweaking the sound with a dbx pa2 and mic. the sound surprised me.

200 wpc is 2x the power of a Heresy or a Forte ,  plus it's THX SMPTE /ISO  2696 certified  which neither of  the Heresy or a Forte  are   /THX ISO 2696 is  a high standard for the dynamic range of digital formats , and the DBX PA2 is an active processor for such an application -  these speakers shine with clean SS power , the more , the better -

That's one helluva a speaker , only hic is the cabinet must be mounted to a wall or a  fixture  to project the correct sound ,  similar to a Studio Monitor /close to ear level  -but you can also reverse it 180 degrees  as the woofer is out in either position -

On 12/31/2020 at 2:07 PM, RandyH000 said:

200 wpc is 2x the power of a Heresy or a Forte ,  plus it's THX SMPTE /ISO  2696 certified  which neither of  the Heresy or a Forte  are   /THX ISO 2696 is  a high standard for the dynamic range of digital formats , and the DBX PA2 is an active processor for such an application -  these speakers shine with clean SS power , the more , the better -

That's one helluva a speaker , only hic is the cabinet must be mounted to a wall or a  fixture  to project the correct sound ,  similar to a Studio Monitor /close to ear level  -but you can also reverse it 180 degrees  as the woofer is out in either position -

Definitely better than my refurbished heresy 1.5, I am surprised

107930569_345907.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pio said:

Definitely better than my refurbished heresy 1.5, I am surprised

the midrange on the Heresy 1,5  lost out when they removed the K55V-Atlas PD5VH  Midrange driver ,  but oddly , Klipsch still uses the K55V in the Lascala AL5 and the Khorn AK6 -12K$ and 15k$ speakers , what you can do is find a pair of K55V drivers and remove the K52   --K53 , and  you will love your Heresy 1,5 way more , it's a natural combination with the K77M tweeter and the k22 woofer -

12 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

the midrange on the Heresy 1,5  lost out when they removed the K55V-Atlas PD5VH  Midrange driver ,  but oddly , Klipsch still uses the K55V in the Lascala AL5 and the Khorn AK6 -12K$ and 15k$ speakers , what you can do is find a pair of K55V drivers and remove the K52   --K53 , and  you will love your Heresy 1,5 way more , it's a natural combination with the K77M tweeter and the k22 woofer -

I think I will buy another 3 pairs, at the equivalent 100usd per pair I can't resist

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RandyH000 said:

you're right , they range from 500$ in terrible  shape  to 1k$ the moment you cross the border -

The seller have 25 used pairs, minor dings,  but the drivers in pristine condition. Unfortunately I don't have enough space for more pairs.

Pio

• Like 1