Klipsch rp8000f Placement

krimx0n

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before  but I need some expert advice on RP8000f. 

I currently have rp600m's and rp600c as my LCR and a couple of subs.I also have a marantz sr6015 for my HT and a 35wpc tube amp for my TT. The 600m sound great but I really want the rp8K's..

Anyway back to topic, my right speaker is very close to a wall maybe 8 inches to the side and about a foot to the back, will it be advisable to upgrade to rp8k or rp6k? or just stick to rp600m's?

Appreciate all your advise. Thanks,

• Like 1

Hello,

Although I cannot advise about upgrading, I can tell you that my speakers are about a foot from the back wall, and the right speaker is only 1.5 inches from the side wall.  Regardless, they sound fantastic to my ears.  I was worried about too much bass, but it hasn't been a problem.  But even if it was, tone controls could correct it. 

My speakers are RP-280F's, and are similiar to yours except for the ports on the back -- I think the 8000's have more.  

image0.jpg

5 hours ago, krimx0n said:

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before  but I need some expert advice on RP8000f. 

I currently have rp600m's and rp600c as my LCR and a couple of subs.I also have a marantz sr6015 for my HT and a 35wpc tube amp for my TT. The 600m sound great but I really want the rp8K's..

Anyway back to topic, my right speaker is very close to a wall maybe 8 inches to the side and about a foot to the back, will it be advisable to upgrade to rp8k or rp6k? or just stick to rp600m's?

Appreciate all your advise. Thanks,

Welcome, if there isn't a huge price difference, get the bigger speaker if you can. 

2 hours ago, Signals said:

Hello,

Although I cannot advise about upgrading, I can tell you that my speakers are about a foot from the back wall, and the right speaker is only 1.5 inches from the side wall.  Regardless, they sound fantastic to my ears.  I was worried about too much bass, but it hasn't been a problem.  But even if it was, tone controls could correct it. 

My speakers are RP-280F's, and are similiar to yours except for the ports on the back -- I think the 8000's have more.  

image0.jpg

Nice room.....welcome.

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Nice room.....welcome.

Thank you!  (Long time lurker/first time poster, etc...). :smile:

One thing I wanted to add to my response to the OP; the reason why the right speaker is so close to the wall is because the pair is positioned in a 7ft equilateral  triangle shared with my listening positon. I found that this is the best setup for my room/listening environment.

Edited by Signals
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Signals said:

Hello,

image0.jpg

Hi, Thanks for the response. That is exactly my room including the door 😁only a bit tighter. That's another issue, distance between speakers will be definitely less than 7 feet. 

I guess I'll  just point the speakers directly to the room. 

4 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Welcome, if there isn't a huge price difference, get the bigger speaker if you can. 

Nice room.....welcome.

Thanks. before I got the 600m's I really wanted the 8000f's but there were too much clutter in front of the speakers so I opted for standmounts. don't get me wrong the 600m's with subs sound great but this hobby doesn't stop at great 😉

6 minutes ago, krimx0n said:

I guess I'll  just point the speakers directly to the room. 

why guess? Better to experiment and chose the position/location which results in the best sound (in your judgment). Such experimentation is very useful as it helps you to hone your listening skills and those skills are what you have to rely upon when you decide to tweak your system or upgrade your components.

2 minutes ago, moray james said:

why guess? Better to experiment and chose the position/location which results in the best sound (in your judgment). Such experimentation is very useful as it helps you to hone your listening skills and those skills are what you have to rely upon when you decide to tweak your system or upgrade your components.

that was fast.. yes I will experiment  for sure. facing the room will be my Last resort because  most of what I read about rp8000, distance and positioning / toe-in is key or just point it directly into the room. unfortunately my room doesn't have enough space for experimentation but will definitely do. btw thanks for the input. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, krimx0n said:

that was fast.. yes I will experiment  for sure. facing the room will be my Last resort because  most of what I read about rp8000, distance and positioning / toe-in is key or just point it directly into the room. unfortunately my room doesn't have enough space for experimentation but will definitely do. btw thanks for the input. 

here are some things you can do keep notes as you go with description of how each position sounds and also and this is important your gut feeling about each different set up. play with toe in and toe out you never have to move the speakers from their current position to do this yet large differences will be obvious. these differences will mostly impact the spatial sound stage and the 3D quality of the sound and how well the speakers disappear. for example have the speakers cross just in front of you and then just behind you. You can move the closer to the wall behind them this will increase bass weight and try moving a little closer toward you this will diminish the bass weight but sound stage and clarity will improve Find the magic spot that sounds best.

Lastly I like to recommend that you start your listening with an equilateral triangle set up if your room is small start at 8' space centre to centre of the speakers and 8' from the centre of each speaker to your head in you chair. Get a long tape measure this matters be methodical be exact to a small fraction of an inch lets say 1/8 to make it easier but later that may prove to be too wide a margin of error but for now stick with an 1/8" accuracy. You need to start experimenting as only you can do this and only you will know what will sound best to you at this time. I say at this tome for a reason, as your listening skills improve you will get better at noticing subtle differences and you will find that periodically you will get the urge to play with your system looking for improvements and you will find them. This takes time and practice but you will make headway and you will realize steady improvements. Best of luck ask questions but most of all experiment this is the road to better sound take it or leave it but remember if you decide to leave it then forget about complaining about it. I hope this helps you and any others who may have similar issues.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, moray james said:

here are some things you can do keep notes as you go with description of how each position sounds and also and this is important your gut feeling about each different set up. play with toe in and toe out you never have to move the speakers from their current position to do this yet large differences will be obvious. these differences will mostly impact the spatial sound stage and the 3D quality of the sound and how well the speakers disappear. for example have the speakers cross just in front of you and then just behind you. You can move the closer to the wall behind them this will increase bass weight and try moving a little closer toward you this will diminish the bass weight but sound stage and clarity will improve Find the magic spot that sounds best.

Lastly I like to recommend that you start your listening with an equilateral triangle set up if your room is small start at 8' space centre to centre of the speakers and 8' from the centre of each speaker to your head in you chair. Get a long tape measure this matters be methodical be exact to a small fraction of an inch lets say 1/8 to make it easier but later that may prove to be too wide a margin of error but for now stick with an 1/8" accuracy. You need to start experimenting as only you can do this and only you will know what will sound best to you at this time. I say at this tome for a reason, as your listening skills improve you will get better at noticing subtle differences and you will find that periodically you will get the urge to play with your system looking for improvements and you will find them. This takes time and practice but you will make headway and you will realize steady improvements. Best of luck ask questions but most of all experiment this is the road to better sound take it or leave it but remember if you decide to leave it then forget about complaining about it. I hope this helps you and any others who may have similar issues.

Thank you sir, will definitely use your tips... 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally added the 8000f into my system.. they sound great, wider and sound is higher/taller. At current position i have good sound stage, center imaging is a little off, my rp600m where better at center imaging. Need to experiment with toe-in more. Thank for all the advise.

20210306_145932.jpg

• 5 months later...
Finally added the 8000f into my system.. they sound great, wider and sound is higher/taller. At current position i have good sound stage, center imaging is a little off, my rp600m where better at center imaging. Need to experiment with toe-in more. Thank for all the advise.
20210306_145932.thumb.jpg.0dff711393b6a7f84e9fe5337b30c807.jpg
Definitely need to toe in. The 8000fs are very directional

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...