Help figuring out what Rev my CF-3 speakers are

MarcusRider

2 hours ago, billybob said:

Was going to ask if you had read that forum yet. An easy way think some use is measuring the ports. Someone will be along.

Welcome to the forum! @MarcusRider

Thanks for the reply. What would be the best way to measure the ports? Would I just take the front cover off and stick a measuring tape down the tube hole?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcusRider said:

@moray james

I stuck a tape down what I assume were the ports (two port hole looking things at the bottom of the face of it) and hooked it on the back lip and measured to the front edge and it was 5". Would that mean I have it a Rev 1 CF-3?

Below is  the information directly from Klipsch on how to determine which of the 3 versions your CF-3/4 are.

EPIC Series Production versions – Rev.1, Rev.2, Rev.3

Rev.1 – Start of Production in Spring of 1994

1. These models had 5" long port tubes
  2. Networks used OFC (monster cable looking) clear jacket wiring.
  3. Horns in these models were gray in color.

Rev.2 – Fall of 1994

1. These models had shorter 2.5" long port tubes (to raise the box tuning)
  2. Networks had a component / value change to correct for the new ports. (The network wire was still the OFC used in Rev.1.)

Rev.3 – Summer of 1995 to end of production in 1996

1. These models had new lighter cone woofers (new vendor) (these cones aren’t nearly as stiff as the originals and can be deformed much easier by pressing on them)
  2. Networks were changed to compensate for the new woofers
  3. Change in network wiring to colored 16ga. like what is used in Legend KLF networks
  4. New horn material that was 20% glass and was painted black.

Serial number decoding for EPIC Series models (or any Klipsch model made from 1990-1997(?))

Production Years Description Example

1990-1997(?) DOY Y2Y1 # # # # (135791234)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Does DOY stand for Day of year? I bought my CF-3s and a KV-4 new in 1997 and thought they are rev. 2 (from memory) only one serial number is barely legible 241599267. Which makes them rev. 3?

I have done extensive upgrades over the years with bracing, installing a pair of EV 1506, port extension etc.. I'd 'like to rebuild the crossover as well. I have a lot of memories with these speakers which keeps them in a system that has moved up in scale since then.