Need help! Speakers damaged?

Steveklipsch

Hello! I had a few rowdy party guests over and while some music ended up being played over my system (7.1 Klipsch Rp with r-115sw) Someone drunkard "accidentally" turned the volume to full blast for about 5-10 seconds. The speakers are all powered by an Onkyo TX NR 787. Is it possible that this could have damaged them and is there any good way to test if it did?? OH I'm also looking for a secondary r-115sw if anyone knows of any direction to point me in for that!

Thanks for any help!
Stevce

Welcome.

As @wuzzzer said, carefully listen at low volume initially. Listen for scraping sounds.  Also confirm that each driver is producing output.

They are probably fine.  The tweeter voice coils are probably the most vulnerable.

In the mid-70s I used four 8 ohm Speakerlab SKhorns (Klipschorn knockoffs) in a mobile DJ business.  With two in parallel per channel, the Dynaco ST400 put out 300 watts/channel into the resulting 4 ohm load.  Even with four efficient horn loaded speakers it was often necessary run at full throttle to provide enough volume to satisfy the demands of a gymnasium or cafeteria full of adolescents.

With the exception of a few blown EV T-35 (same as K-77) voice coils, no harm done.  In those days a call to EV in Buchanan, MI would have a replacement diaphragm at my door within a few days, along with an invoice for less than $20.  Those were the days.

The Atlas drivers (similar to K55) and woofers were never damaged.  If the play with no apparent odd noises, you’re probably OK.

• Like 1

Went through something similar with a tx-nr686 I had about 2yrs back. Long story short, did the AccuEQ room calibration which made my speakers sound distorted as hell with horrible scraping. Did my own testing and disabling the AccuEQ didnt make any difference for the sound after running the room correction software. Luckily, my father had an old receiver lying around. Tested it with my speakers and it sounded normal again as if no damage was done. If your speakers sound distorted after testing, try to hook them up to another receiver. Maybe you have a friend that can lend you one or maybe get a really cheap used one. Test with that receiver and see if the distortion persists.