Touch up satin black finish?

18 hours ago, bpplaysguitar said:

My recently-acquired CF4s have just a little bit of space where the black stain has faded away. Can I buy a similar level of gloss black and do some sort of touch up with some light wiping on of thin coats?

20210308_131951.jpg

Yes you can, any brand of black stain will work.  some use actual paint such as a semi gloss when re-doing the whole cabinet but for spot treatment a black stain should darken those areas. 

Years ago, I owned a pair of black 1970's LaScala's that were in great shape, except that the previous owner had lightly sanded a few small spots in preparation for touch up. He never got around to touching them up before he passed away. I didn't think it would be too hard to match the black finish. 

I was wrong. There seem to be infinite variations of hue and shine between flat black and gloss black paint. I enlisted the help of a professional bike painter, but we never succeeded in touching up those spots to my satisfaction. In my experience, it is a far more difficult task than spot-detailing a walnut oil finish. Maybe other folks with more skill have figured it out, but I failed completely. However, the LaScala paint did not show the grain like your CF-4's, so that could make it a different story.

I'm sure we could have refinished the entire cabinets (or just specific panels) with great results, but I was opposed to that. Like many accumulators of old speakers, or guitars, or bicycles, I decided to leave it alone and call it patina.