Port distance from wall

Deang

Have you attempted the Rule of Thirds yet which I believe supercedes distance of the port from the wall. Bring the speakers out a third from the rear wall (third of the distance of the length of your room)and sit your chair roughly 2/3 the distance of the whole room. And again, try to have the distance from the rear wall to be different from the side wall distance.

I had my ProAc tower speakers over EIGHT FEET from the wall at one point. The port location seems to have more impact if the speakers are TOO close. The distance from the rear wall has more to do with your room size and speaker dimension than relating to the port etc.

kh

ps- btw, you didnt need to remove that link to your equipment site; I havent even taken it off yet.

I know, but you were going to remove the link sooner or later, so I just figured by changing my signature -- you wouldn't feel bound to leave it.

I don't think I can really do the rule of thirds (I am familiar with it). Though the wall behind me is some ways back, there is a king sized bed a foot or two behind my listening chair.

If you read up on the theory of Helmholtz resonators, there is an end correction for the port length terminated in an infinite baffle that is equal to .85 times the radius of the port. As a first order approximation, I would use this distance. You could, also, adjust the distance to the wall until the box frequency starts to change, determined by measuring the speaker impedance as a function of frequency. Or you could just keep moving it closer until you hear a change in the bass.

Jim N