Need Help

Erum

I am using Klipsch Epic CF3 speakers with 2 ten inches subwoofer and a horn tweeter in an enclosure of 41"H17"D16"W. My problem is as soon as I increase the volume because of the bass the rear panel of my speakers starts to vibrate and start emitting vibrating sound (REAR PANEL BOX BOOM).The moment I keep pressure with my hand on the rear panel there is no vibration sound.Any solution folks.Many thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome,

Here's a couple of suggestions to curb those pesky cabinet resonations.

1 Re-inforce the cabinet interior with horizontal window pane bracing.

2 Dynamat the cabinet interior.

3 Stuff the cabinet with acoustic foam or stuffing.

Any one or combination of these might help your problem.

Window pane bracing could be the avenue you'll need to travel. Especially if you've localized the vibrational source as the back panel.

Just a thought...

You could always replace the back panel with a bit thicker piece.

Good luck.

Enjoy your system.

it also depends on how handy and brave you are...if you can dismantle the speakers to add bracing inside then go for it...if not I did the following to a pair of old infinity speaks that had a similar problem. I took a piece of plywood (3/4") and made a "daughter" back panel. I cut a rectangular piece the width of the back and about 10" tall. I bought some "black hole" pad...a dampening pad...and then wood screwed the panel to the back of my cabinets with the dampening pad sandwiched between the daughter panel and the back. it stopped my panel from vibrating. the weight fothe wood/pad, the pressure applied by screwing it and vibration absorption from the daughter panel/black hole pad helped me on those speaks. I couldn't open the cabinets to brace internally. hope this helps. tony

Audio Reality,

Many thanks for all the suggestions.The back panel is 1" thick.Can you elaborate how to do the window pane bracing.The back panel is probably attached to the speaker with glue as i do not see any wood screws.

Thanks Again.

Sure, I'll do the best I can.

I have never actually made any before, but i've read and seen many different styles.

Maybe one of our experienced DIYers can offer specs or better design options.

O.K. here's what your gonna want to do.

1. Remove the drivers completely and work from the openings.

2. Cut peices for two or three wood frame boxes (window panes) using 1/2 by 1/2 or better lumber.

* Cut peices in accordance to the horizontal interior dimensions at the top, middle and near bottom of the enclosure.

3. Cut and dry fit peices in enclosure at said locations.

4. Once you are ready to affix/glue in the peices for the boxes, find the exact locations where you want to put them and mark those spots.

I suggest one box slightly above the highest driver, one somewhere in the middle and another just below the lowest driver.

If space doesn't allow, just find a more befitting spot, just bear in mid where the drivers are going to be once they are back in the enclosure.

You wouldn't want to put the braces in and find out the hard way that you can't put the drivers back in. LOL

That would be a bummer.

Obviously, a little common sense goes along way.

I'm know there is a formula for figuring placement of these braces, i'm just not privy to it.

Hope this helps a little.

John.

Hey John,

I am really grateful for the detailed reply,I have taken out all the drivers from the cabinet and will try to work according to your suggestion and work from inside.I have also found out that the panel from the side has left the joint and is loose i will also try to put some braces.Pls also elobrate how to dynamat the cabinet.I will be needing a liquid kind of glue which could seep in the joint and make a firm bonding.Any suggestion on the glue.Thanks again. ERUM