AVR Reciever or Stereo amplifier for RP-8000f

Zen

Hi,

I need advice for a an amplifier.

I orderer RP-8000's and still waiting for them and I have an older Sony AVR STR-DE697 (some specs: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/str-de697.shtml)

I have also an older Marantz stereo amplifier PM64 II LDPS (some forum with specs: https://forum.munkonggadget.com/detail.php?id=100917) But this one I need to repair, don't know how much it will cost, probably less then a new amplifier :)

My first priority is music, then movies (I have a center and surround speakers, so 5.0 setup and it's enough for me, don't judge :) :)

So my question is will buying another AVR or stereo amplifier be any better than this that I have? For music first.

I don't want to spend a huge amount of money, so let's say I would be happy with a budget of around 500€ (I live in Germany) and maaaybe max 1000€, but only if it's really worth it.

I would be happy if I can still have have a 5.0 setup, that sounds good for music listening, but if it's just not possible, then I would go with stereo.

So, should I keep the Sony, or repair Marantz and use that one, or go with something completely different.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

I actually went and bought one for 50 euro, but I noticed a decrease in quality. I saw online, that I can open it, and replace the wires inside to better, shielded ones.

It's quite the hassle, but maybe one day.

I have looked and found on Ebay one old flagship AVR Onkyo TX-NR808, which has declared 145 watts per channel on 8 ohms, for 300 euro.

It is a used 10 year old reciever, so I am wondering for how long will it last and will there any difference in sound quality comparing with my equipment.

Can you tell me what kind of gear do you use? I always wanted tube based amplifiers, but they are quite expensive and don't know if it's worth having one for RP-8000f.

Thanks again for your help

So you may actually be satisfied with Sony AVR for movies.

With 2 channel switch you feel there is a loss in quality when going to stereo.

What switch are you using.

Also if you know, what speaker wire, just out of curiosity.

What is the Marantz stereo doing or not doing. Have you an idea of problem. 

Thanks for answering @Zen !

Sony is not bad actually and when listening to music only in 2 channel mode, it is not so different then Marantz.

I mean Marantz sounds a bit better, sound is bit fuller, the bass is stronger, maybe that's why.

I am just wandering is it because of a bit more watts that Marantz has, it's rated at 105 watts per channel at 8 ohms and Sony is as I remember 80.

I connected them seperately and then with the switch.

The switch is this one: https://www.ebay.de/itm/254155431543

The speaker wire is something I bouth on ebay years ago, can't find it anymore, but it's proper thick and shielded.

I would rather have one amplifier then two.

But, good AVR reciever's are really expensive if you want them to be good in music also.

Thanks for any advice given.

Rather one than 2 units then is your preference.

You had mentioned the Marantz 2 channel stereo amp is why I asked. Likely the watt difference and the dedicated and the purpose build is why it sounds better to you than the Sony AVR for music.

As for the Onkyo AVR, read the reviews and consider if it is worth the pursuit for 2 channel mode.

Cannot say if it is a deal or not being that old. If it was 800 euros new 10 years ago, that would make it worth less now, than 300 euros, imo depending on condition w/remote/features, etc...

Can you try it and return or likely not.

It certainly has more power so...may sound better than Sony with 80 watts for the front channels 

Make sense to you?

Thanks @Zen !

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zen said:

It was more then 100 euros 10 years ago and it had back then 5 ratings on whathifi.

It is in great condition, was just wondering if anybody has some similiar experience with Onkyo and is it a worthwhile change for a better sound.

Thanks @billybob

Maybe someone will know...

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Zen said:

I have looked and found on Ebay one old flagship AVR Onkyo TX-NR808, which has declared 145 watts per channel on 8 ohms, for 300 euro.

It is a used 10 year old reciever, so I am wondering for how long will it last and will there any difference in

Fwiw, I wouldn't trust buying a 10 year old AVR and instead look for a slightly used or discontinued newer one that has a good reputation, insofar as best bang for your euro is concerned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1