Cornwall 1 mods

VDS

I know I’m opting myself up to abuse...but here goes. 
Cornwall 1’s, previously switched horns to a Dave Harris 400hz eliptical with BSM 4592 (Mid only) Dave A Mahl tweeter horn w/ Dcm10(?) driver, internal bracing. Alk crossovers, 500/5800hz

I recently saw saw a showing inside of CW4 showing damping on 1 side and top only, bracing front to back. 
Added 2x4’s front to back as CW4, added damping to 1 side and top, removed from back and other side, and moved back out 3” to make up volume lost to larger horn and bracing, currently 7.9 cu ft total inside.

still have to measure, but I feel the bass tighter, less resonant, (which was always a complaint of mine) bass now is still big and full, but not boomy and resonant.

Some of these changes were reckless and uninformed, I know, no need to point it out, but the sound is quantum leaps above the CW1’s I bought 1 year ago! Wish I could compare to CW4’s for the hell of it.

Now moving to attempting a 2 way, active. Debating between MEH with K402’s or K402 with bass bin.

I modified my Cornwall 1’s and they are far superior to the original speaker.  I had the type B crossovers redone using jupiter caps.  I am using the A55g mid range driver and the small walnut mahl with de120.  Since the cornwall midrange and tweeter are not time aligned i placed the mahl tweeter on top of the speaker physically time aligned with the mid range driver.  This made a huge improvement to the sound.  I had to make stand for them and put weight on the top but was worth the effort.  The original wire is like lamp cord so i rewired with western electric tinned copper wire and installed cardas copper binding posts.  

i did listen to the cornwall 4’s at RMAF a few years ago.  They sound really good.  I did not really think that they sounded better than my modified ones.  Of course they were in a hotel room with different amp and unfamiliar music so really hard to compare.

FBD9BCD4-4C19-4A9F-AD56-55C92D3FE60C.thumb.jpeg.f793157be3143f66c69d4dbfde9058eb.jpeg