Harman Kardon AVR 8000 on the Way!!!!

NOZ

OK,

It arrived today...woohoo!! Box was a little banged up, but it works perfectly...Thank-god.

Hooked it up, and began with two channel listening. WOW does this thing pound. I had it well over levels of the 7000, lots of bass control, good pure in your chest sound. Very happy with it.

As for surround, I quickly set up levels and put on some good dvd's, and it sounds great, shakes the house even more than the 7000, but with more control.

There is alot more modes to set up, (tweaking), it is far more complicated than the 7000, but I'm sure I will get used to it.

Good to hear. Mine is on the way and should be here tomorrow or late today.

The HT is ready, Chorus II center, Belles for front, Heresy for side effect and Forte for rear effect. It sounds great with my Marantz SR 7000. It will be interesting to compare the receivers.

*UGH*.... I hate this. I am feeling the neeed, the bug... The upgrade virus. The constant desire to have bigger badder better. I have two upgrades I want. New receiver and replace my center with a RF7. Which comes first?

Actually, I am kinda interested in waiting on the receiver. I want to see if they come out with a new flagship any time soon. They got the 7200 comeing out, but I want to see if they are going to replace the 8000.

m00n - Why are you gonna upgrade when you use external amps to power you HT? I would just stick with the amps and use the 520 as a pre-amp. You will have more power and all the same options as the 8000, well almost the same options 9.gif

I think my next upgrade is going to be possibly a Sunfire Signature 5 channel amp and then use the HK as just the 2 channel for the 7.1 setup.

Just a suggestion, I would love to have the 8000 too, too many choices, why? 8.gif

Well, the unit was in mint condition cosmetically upon arrival. It is in fact a January '02 build and still has the center channel buzzing. I am contacting HK on the issue. However, this unit is incredible with CD's, Audio DVD and Video DVD. Have only run some listening tests, and the sound is just awesome.

My Belles have much tighter bass and the soundstage is truly superior for a HT Receiver.

Same power as my Marantz, but the High Current makes a difference.

This unit seems brand new to me. I don't know if HK is getting rid of the Jan '02 models to get rid of the center channel problem or what.

I'm not that upset yet. I have contacted HK and will let you know what they say. Even with high efficiency speakers, the buzz is not audible from about 3' out. However, you know it is there. I did note that if I use an outboard amp for the center, the buzzing is gone, so the problem is somewhere in the amp section for the center.

The AVS forum has extensive commentary on this issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1732116#post1732116

H/K has been very helpful so far and will be exchanging my unit. I could live with the center channel buzzing, it did not change with volume changes and did not occur with an outboard amp. However, the unit also made buzzing and unacceptable hissing audible at all listening levels when listening to analog iputs. That I could not accept. Fortunately, H/K is taking the unit back and will be sending a replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

NOZ, whatever you do, don't send it back.

I sent mine back, and like you had a buzz noticeable only inside 3'.

Well, they exchanged it, and sent me a July '02 build date. This one, is worse! The buzz can be heard anywhere in my 14x23 room.

I am waiting for word from H/K. They have so far been very supportive and helpful. I hate having to wait for the RMA process, but I can't live with a Heritage HT system and a crappy center channel.

I wish I had kept the original one they sent.

If I did not love the power and features so much, I'd just get my money back. However, the AVR 8000 is really a great receiver for my speakers.

----------------

On 1/28/2003 8:04:03 PM NOZ wrote:

m00n,

No, it has DTS-ES, and THX surround EX, and THX Ultra.

I think DTS sounds the best anyways.

----------------

Well, the reason I would like this is because I have seen several DVDs that have Dolby Digital-EX but not DTS-ES