rf5 sound

drptpcpe

As far as RF-3 vs RF-5, i find the RF-5s to have a much smoother high end. The bass is relativly similar, but the RF-5s tweet is really something. Also they come in cherry1.gif. I find the RF-7s to be in a whole different league from the RF-3s and RF-5s. They really sound entirely different. Much more impact and power. Thats how I see it. I should be getting my RF-3s early next year. I cant wait. 9.gif

well, the RF-5 is the same as the RF-3 other than the horn. It has a much bigger horn which yeilds higher efficiency, and a smoother high end like stephen said. They are a much better speaker, but many people opt for the RF-3 just because they feel that the larger horn isn't worth the extra couple hunderd dollars. I think the RF-5's look alot better though too. They're taller and slimmer which I like. I don't like really beffy looking box speakers besides the klipsch heritage series.

I went for the Rf-3's and I must admit that price was a consideration. In terms of the Rf-5's being smoother, Klipsch designers previously in this forum have stated that they went after a more refined sound in the Rf-5.

Still, when paired with the right upstream electronics, the differences between the two speakers can be minimized, though I'm guessing not completely eliminated. NOTE: if you have size limitations or prefer a speaker of a smaller size, I also own a pair of RB-5's. These speakers are special, and for music listening are hard to best, IMHO. For a system that doubles as HT amd music, I'd opt for the RF-3 or RF-5, though.

I've found the Rf-3 to be one of the best speaker purchases I've ever made, and I've been through alot of speakers. My last pair of speakers were Magnepans, and the RF-3's have made me forget about all the reasons I like the Maggies.

guys thanks for your input. price isnt really a consideration because I just sold some other stuff, including my Psb's. I went and listened again tonight at a B&M and decided I really liked both the rf3 and rf5. The rf5 is a little more laid back maybe ,like the rb5. I don't know how anyone can say harsh or bright highs, I didn't think so, not even a little. Dire Sraits sure sounded good though. It is looking like Rf5 fronts, Rc7 center, Rb5 rear,(I thought about 4 rf5 but maybe overkill), and the Rs7 surround.I am changing my infinite baffle sub to two 12's (shiva mk111 or stryke av12) and hoping to rock the neighborhood.

thanks again,andy

ps

I think the rf7 are too big for my room.

Another vote for the RF5,

I've only had mine about 10 days, and they are really starting to grow on me. I definitely agree that the upper mid/highs are smoother than the RF3. I had the RF3's for about 2 and a half years before I replaced them. They will soon become a part of my bedroom system. A great speaker for the price. I have a feeling that the new crossover used in the RF5, RF7, and RC7 is responsible for cleaning up the midrange tonality as compared to the RF3. I have the cherry finish, and this is a big plus over the RF3 black veneer, in my opinion.

I had a pair of rf5's for about two weeks while my rf7's came in. They are fantastic speakers, IMO they sound very similar to my 7's. I listened to them side by side, and the only difference that I could tell was the 7's are more sensitive.

I chose the 7's over the 5's because of my listening habits(I like it LOUD) and power handling capabilities. The recommended max wattage on the 5's is 150W, while the 7's are 250W.

If you like the Klipsch sound, there is no doubt that you will be happy either way. 9.gif

EEk.

Now the wife has thrown in her .02 cents. She went and listened to speakers and wants matching towers for her multi-channel listening. Her demands are as follows:

Four (4) RF5 towers in Cherry

One (1) RC7 center channel in Cherry

One (1) pr RS7 surrounds, but she wants Cherry!

women!

What ya think?

andy