MOSFET or transistor--what is the difference in sound?

Music_Smurf

There is much talk on this forum about how Klipsch speakers sound good with Parasound amplifiers. Based on this talk, I am looking into getting a Parasound amplifier. I notice Parasound makes MOSFET and transitor amplifiers. What is the difference in sound quality between the two, and which one is more compatable with Klipsch?

Mos-fets ARE transistors: "Metal Oxide Semiconductor-Field Effect Transistor", or something like that. The popular conception is that they sound more tube-like than conventional bi-polar transistors; A conception I tend to hold also. But I couldn't begin to tell you why they do. I do think that is why they make a good match with klipsch speakers. The mos-fet smoothness tends to ameliorate some of the klipsch tendency towards a bright, forward sound. I use a mos-fet integrated amp (humble Sony ES) with klipschorns, and just love the results.

A MOSFET is a high gain, not exactly linear, but not exponential, device. A bipolar transistor is a high gain, exponential device. With a bipolar transistor, a designer must deal with feedback and nonlinearity. With a MOSFET, a designer must deal with feedback. Bipolar - 2 problems. MOSFET - 1 problem.

leok

I once had an old Sony integrated with JFET output devices; which, as I understand it, has been replaced by MOSFET designs.

It was low power (who cares?) but boy it sounded sweet. Years after selling it I still kick myself for doing so.

Tubelike? I don't know. Never compared it to tubes.