Buying a mp3 player...need suggestions

Juba310

I'm looking to buy a semi-decent mp3 player...so far ive liked the idea of Creative's Nomad IIc... i like the fact that it has onboard and removable memory smartcards... I dont need anything that has a ton of space... 64 megs should be fine... I do want something thats smallish. Id also like spend under $200 for it. Does anyone here have a mp3 that they find works well or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I use one of the Nike models with an arm strap at the gym. I think it's called a PSA 120. Comes with 32MB or 64MB built in and has an additional slot for expansion. Runs on a single AA battery good for about 10 hours I'd say. Anyway I bought it new for about $199 last year, so now it should be well within your budget. Never had any problems with it and I've used it for an hour each weekday doing cardio for a year now. I did pop for a set of the $20 ear buds from Sony as I didn't care much for the stock units. They may have been updated since I purchased mine.

HTH

~shoe

Jukebox_Zenpix1.jpgNOMAD Jukebox Zen - Our Premier MP3 Music Player

The Creative® NOMAD® Jukebox Zen offers the same powerful features and flexibility found in a large capacity MP3 player, but now delivered in a smaller and sleeker package! Use the fast 10x transfer rate anywhere via SB1394/FireWire® or use USB plug-in for basic transfer. Load your entire music collection and data files in a flash onto the stylish Zen, pop it into your pocket or bag, then share information easily between computers.

Featuring the familiar powerful menu system available in all Creative Jukebox products, the NOMAD Jukebox Zen lets you easily move through your music collection, select songs and edit playlists absolutely anywhere. Only Creative Labs offers this speed and versatility with such a compact 20GB MP3 player.

The Zen offers up to 12 hours of continuous playback using the quick-charge battery, and the sleek aluminum body makes carrying your music even more fun. Combine these features and the versatility, and you will discover there could be no easier decision. The NOMAD Jukebox Zen is the best choice for compact, large-capacity MP3 music listening and file transfer.

Why is the Creative NOMAD Jukebox Zen right for you?

If you have been searching for a compact player with massive MP3 storage, your search is over! Get up to 20GB of music on your NOMAD Zen, and then listen to it anywhere for up to 12 hours. Want to create a playlist on the go? No need to be at your computer any longer! Just select songs, create and save your playlist and you're ready to tune in. Use your Zen to transfer files from your home computer to work or school by using the Zen as a portable hard drive. File transfer is speedier than ever with the SB1394/FireWire or use the USB plug-in for basic transfer. Talk about compact! Pop the NOMAD Zen in your pocket or bag and you're ready to go. Add the large storage capacity, playlist flexibility, and speedy file transfer into the equation, and the only answer can be the Nomad Jukebox Zen.

Features and Benefits

Bring over 8,000 songs (WMA/80kbps) or 5,000 songs (MP3/128kbps) everywhere you go with this cutting-edge compact 20GB player.

Sleek, stylish anodized aluminum body fits in your pocket or can be clipped to your belt in the included travel pouch

Transfer your songs and other files in a flash with SB1394/FireWire® - 10x faster than USB!

Synchronize your music with AudioSync on your player with your PC at work, school and home or on the road.

USB port provided for file transfer with any of your PCs anywhere. You can charge the NOMAD Jukebox Zen via the USB port too!

Creative PlayCenter 3 lets you rip CDs, organize and transfer tracks between your player and PC.

Quickly edit, organize or create playlists either at or away from your PC, the only product that allows this!

Powerful, easy to use, icon-driven interface with Quick Scroller Navigation

It just cannot be beat for the price

are you sure you just didn't know how to use it? the old ones weren't as good because they could only record at normal play speed, but now the new ones record at 32x. a minidisc that holds 4 cd's worth of tunes can be had for 2 bucks, were as a 128 mb card for an mp3 player is in the 100 dollar ball park. Did you get a cheap one? my sony works great, even though it is an older model. Many people I know who have had both said they prefer minidisc.

----------------

On 12/21/2002 1:49:40 AM Juba310 wrote:

I did look at the Zen and was very very tempted...but what the hell? the price on creatives website is 299 after rebate....not 199...where are you looking at to buy from?

----------------

i fond them for $256 online and $50 off makes them $206.

Dude, go with minidisc! I have been on MD's for years now--i started with the sony R91, then R900, then N1. NetMD is a great feature in new MD's--you can fit up to 5 hours on a single disc! at a transfer rate of up to 64X--takes me about 15 min to put about 2-3 hrs on a disc. Yeh a little slower than USB 2 or 1394 but MD are sooo much better sounding, last longer, discs are cheap, etc.

GO MD MAN!