HELP ME ON RP 6000F + AMP PAIRING AND MORE

MIKE ZHANG

Hi everyone,

Big lover of music, but also big newbie here when it comes to putting a music system together. Never knew this forum existed till now and I must say that I love the civil and polite vibes here after an hour of reading. Thus I'm not afraid of sounding dumb here, plus I really need to get this done for my impending new home. 

After hundreds of hours on speaker reviews, I'm loosely gunning for the following basic setup for my new living room of 33 ft by 17 ft by 10 ft (height), pls advise me on the best possible musical experience:

1) Speakers - RP 6000F (walnut)

2) Sub - R-12SW

3) Amp?

My Very Erratic Music Listening Profile:

1) Loads of metallica, slipknot, Led Zeppelin and nirvana
2) Loads of Saint Saens, Bach and Saint Saens
3) Medium dosage of Miles Davis, Charles Mingus and Theolonious Monk
4) Medium dosage of Abba, Beatles, Smiths
5) Small dash of Rick Astley, Depeche Mode and all the retro greats

*I'm not so much for using this system for movies, but am open to AV receiver recommendations

My humble total budget: around USD2000 but could get impulsive if reasonably excited

Questions, assuming I have no way of testing the amps:
1) I have searched high and low but cant find the answers to the best stereo amp to pair with 6000F. Pls recommend.

2) Is the 6000F the way to rock with my current living room size, given the music i listen to?

3) is the sub necessary or shd i spend it more on an amp?

4) Shd I get an AV receiver instead to futureproof for eg if the family wants to watch movies on it? And if I do, which ones would you kind sirs recommend?

I'll be heading to test the speakers for the first time next weekend btw, and hopefully make the purchase then.

Appreciate your time. Keep safe, all. 

2 hours ago, MIKE ZHANG said:

Thanks Bill,

About $800-$1000.

If music is your thing, then I would get an integrated stereo amp in that price range, new or used.

23 hours ago, MIKE ZHANG said:

1) I have searched high and low but cant find the answers to the best stereo amp to pair with 6000F. Pls recommend.

2) Is the 6000F the way to rock with my current living room size, given the music i listen to?

new living room of 33 ft by 17 ft by 10 ft (height)

The 6000Fs should be fine in that room provided your main listening seat is within say 15 to 18 feet of the main speakers.

3) is the sub necessary or shd i spend it more on an amp?

100% necessary, no but it sure will enhance the overall experience if integrated properly.

Bill

Really appreciate your help Bill.

As for the integrated stereo amp, could you point me to a few specific models, cos I understand Klipsch speakers are brighter and more direct so we have to pair it with an amp that is warming sounding (Or am I wrong here in the first place?) so I google search "best amp pairing for Klipsch speakers" and usually they are misleading and not focused on klipsch pairing, just generic or biased opinions.

Sorry to bother you, but I'd rather ask people who are actually in the know, since I will be researching more and buying without testing them.

10 hours ago, MIKE ZHANG said:

Really appreciate your help Bill.

My pleasure.

10 hours ago, MIKE ZHANG said:

As for the integrated stereo amp, could you point me to a few specific models, cos I understand Klipsch speakers are brighter and more direct so we have to pair it with an amp that is warming sounding

I never bought into that Klipsch are "bright" speakers.  IMO, accurate is a better suited adjective.

I have used preamp/amp combos, integrated amps, stereo receivers, AVRs, from several different audio gear producers and they all had their own "personalities".  After much experimentation for several years, I am full on in the "neutral" camp, neither warm or cool.

My suggestion would be look into integrated amps from NAD, Cambridge Audio, Yamaha, Denon, Parasound(used to fall in your budget range), to name a few, where you kind find many between $800.00 to $1000.00.

Bill

Cambridge Audio CX61 could be an option at $1000. 

Also, don't sleep on this little $500 integrated from Yamaha!

Review and Measurements of Yamaha WXA-50 Streaming Amp | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

It measures VERY respectably. Has a sub output too. 

I've been stressing over the same decision as you since June for a pairing with my Cornwall IVs...still haven't bought anything yet. 

I finally made a decision yesterday and ordered this to pair with my Cornwall IVs Amazon.com: Audiolab 6000A Play Integrated Amplifier with Wireless Audio Streaming (Black) : Electronics except I got it in silver and with Prime shipping. 

It checks all the boxes for me and I believe it will for you as well. It was well below the budget I had set for myself, which made it easier to purchase. I'm just excited to get away from the A/V receiver I've been using the last 6 months. Plus since this didn't break the bank I'll still have my eyes on a more substantial upgrade down the road. Maybe this summer. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 11:29 PM, CoryGillmore said:

I finally made a decision yesterday and ordered this to pair with my Cornwall IVs Amazon.com: Audiolab 6000A Play Integrated Amplifier with Wireless Audio Streaming (Black) : Electronics except I got it in silver and with Prime shipping. 

It checks all the boxes for me and I believe it will for you as well. It was well below the budget I had set for myself, which made it easier to purchase. I'm just excited to get away from the A/V receiver I've been using the last 6 months. Plus since this didn't break the bank I'll still have my eyes on a more substantial upgrade down the road. Maybe this summer. 

Wow, I just bought the same amp myself for the 6000fs. I was a bit worried because the picture is of the 6000a and not the Play. Should receive it in about a week.

How are you liking the pairing with your cornwalls so far?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Funkbutterfly said:

Wow, I just bought the same amp myself for the 6000fs. I was a bit worried because the picture is of the 6000a and not the Play. Should receive it in about a week.

How are you liking the pairing with your cornwalls so far?

I love the pairing! It took a few days to really click for me. The first day I spent with it I was ready to box it up and send it back lol. I had to move my speakers just a touch. The 6000f is less fickle than the CWIV, so I suspect you'll plug in and fall in love. Just give it a day or so if it doesn't impress right away. 

Also the streaming of the 6000a Play leaves something to be desired. It doesn't support gapless playback (at least for now) and it uses your phone as a go between. I have a PC plugged into my Play via optical so I don't really even use the "Play" functionality. I could have saved some $$ and got the non-Play model. Oh well.