La Scala info wanted

york

The pro gear doesn't use the same serial number scheme the home speakers do and the records for the pro stuff were not as well preserved. It is generally not possible to tell the year from the serial number. Your La Scalas are really LSI-Bs (I think B is the 2 piece) the "industrial" La Scala. They should have K-43 woofers, K-55-V or -M squawkers and K-77-M tweters. The squawker type and tweeter type can narrow the year of production. The crossover should be a Type AA or Type AL, most likely.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Hi John, Thanks for the information. My computer crashed so it's taken me a while to respond.

I now see that the squawker/tweeter boxes are #1291 & 1290; the woofer boxes are #1171 & 1172. The tweeter has the # K-77; the squawer horn has K-400; the driver has K-55 (824 675); the crossovers are AA. There are no letters V or M behind the above. There is no opening to the woofer, covered by Formica, but on the woofer boxes K-55B. Does this shed any light on this? Thanks for your help.....Bob

Just a couple of notes here:

1. Industrial split-LaScalas went by the designation "LSSI":LS=LaScala, S=split, I=industrial. NON-split standard Industrial LaScala cabinets were called "LSI" models.

2. Access to the woofer in the bass bin on these is the same as for all the LaScalas made during that time period. On the bottom of the bass bin is a slightly amaller sheet of plywood that is screwed to the bottom of the bass bin...you unscrew this sheet, and you will find the "door opening" for the K-33 woofer(or K-43 woofer in the case of the Industrial series)...the opening will be trapezoidal in shape. Please note that the industrial models were ALL built AFTER the changeover to the door being on the bottom of the bass bin....some earlier versions of standard LaScalas to this time period had the "door" on top of the bass bin in the standard cabinet...which necessitated removal of the k-400 horn to access the woofer "door"...so the access point was changed for this reason!