Phono Cartridge Suggestions

tigerwoodKhorns

I am eliminating my receiver that allows the use of MC phono cartridges. My turntable is a Denon DP33F Direct drive. Right now, I have a Denon DL-300 MC Cartridge. I bought a Scott Tube Amp and was told that the phono on this thing was very good, but no MC capability.

Here is what I need. A recomendation of an inexpensive MM artridge (like on eBay) or an inexpensive line amplifier. As you can see, I don't want to spend a lot to do this. I don't listen to records very much but would like to experience it with this amp.

I remember the Shure V15 MM's to be very good when I bought the turntable.

What do you guys think?

Chris

I am messing with ole Craig's site at the moment so not much time... Rule #1. I would NOT buy a used cartridge from Ebay. The risk is just TOO great. While there are plenty of things I WOULD by used, a cartridge is usually not one of them (unless I know the seller).

md1.jpg

For all interested in a vinyl and looking at catalogs with some neat pics of gear, especially a host of cartridges, check out the new Music Direct Catalog. Their new catalog now competes with the likes of Audio Advisor for bathroom fodder with a host of better options and comments as well as some vinyl/digtal selections to ponder. As in all catalogs, there are weaknesses and the selection is not complete, but I found it a fun read and one of the few free catalogs with pics of a variety of cartridge options. Also , see gear and accessories as well including a WIDE selection of TURNTABLES, phono stages, etc. Well worth the trouble.

http://www.amusicdirect.com/catalog/default.asp?rljs=1

kh

I bought the turntable used and it came with the cartridge. I was told that the cartridge was ~$700+ in the late 80's when I bought it. Don't know if it is true. It sounds good. How about an inexpensive line amplifier so that I can continue to use the DL-300 cartridge?

Right now I will use my old denon receiver as a line amp using its pre-out to the tube amp, but my guess is that this will detract from the source.

Chris

Isnt your tube amp an integrated amp (ie Scott LK-48)with a phono stage? IF that is the case, all you need is a stepup device of some kind (and not your Denon which would drag the whole quality down several notches). DO not use the Denon pre-out as the final solution as you will likely be disappointed. That is, unless the Scott's phono stage is not working.

There are several more inexpensive stepup devices around that mihgt be looking into, of course, the cost coming in around $200 MINIMUM, which might be more than you can spend.

One of the best buys appears to be in the new Music Direct catalog as well (I really recommend you buy it to see the host of turntables, tonearms, cartridges, phono stages, accessories, etc).

Take a look at the little CLEARAUDIO MICRO Phono stage at $199 for an MC/MM. MD compares it favorably to the highly reviewed Lehmann Black Cube. Denon makes some EXCELLENT cartridges such as the Denon High output DL-110 and the MC DL-103. Both are excellent.

The sooner you leave the Denon of its preamp duties the better.

kh

Try this first. Hook your turn table to the Low input of the Scott and see what it sounds like. The only problem you may encounter is low over all gain or volume. But you never know if your Denon MC puts out over 2mv you may be fine. I believe you bought this Amp from Jeff. I did think of one thing you need to be aware of the phase splitter tubes have been rewires to except 6U8/6BL8 tubes rather than the 7199 the amp is marked with. Never put a 7199 tube in there !!!

Craig

NOS,

It probably was not $700. That is what the seller told me. I know that it is hard to believe that someone would actually lie, but I guess it is a remote possibility.

I went to that site. The DL-300 link does not work. I found that one before when I send you some info when I was still thinking about buying Jeff's amp.

That last post with the Sure cartridge, does anyone have any experience with that unit?

Chris